ZJ Tranny or TC whine?

I test drove another ZJ today, and noticed a little whine coming from the TC/Tranny area of the floor. This one had a 242 Select Trac, and all the other ones I've driven had the 231. It didn't really sound like a grinding or anything, just little gear whine sound, kinda like the the typical AX-15 reverse whine you hear in a YJ, but not near as loud. I really only noticed it when you were slowing down to a stop or taking off, when you didn't have any road noise to contend with. Cruising down the highway it is not noticable. And there was absolutely no whine when the vehicle was stopped. On the other ZJs I have driven all had the 231 and while I could definately hear a little TC whine, they were quieter.

I didn't know if this was typical to the ZJ or the 242, or if it was a serious red flag.

Reply to
Les

The only time I get any whine gear noise in my nv242 is when I am in 4Lo.

Reply to
billy ray

Ended up buying the rig. The gear whine is definitely coming from the tranny, in first gear. Once it shifts into second, it's quiet. When slowing down to a stop you can hear the whine as soon as the tranny downshifts back into first. Also it shifts a little hard into second, kinda like it has a shift kit in it, but It was a 1 owner and I know that the PO didn't do anything like that.

So what could I be looking at? Possible problems? I Plan on dropping the pan and changing the fluid, and checking for metal shaving etc, but haven't had the chance yet.

If it ends up being a major issue, or if replacement is needed, can I swap in an AW4. I hear these are bulletproof compared to the 42RE.

Reply to
Les

How's the fluid level and color?

Check the shift cable first. on some there is a button you can use to adjust the tension. Can't remember exactly how to set it but you don't want slack when the throttle is at idle and you don't want it topping out at wide open throttle.

Could also be the bands need adjusting.

Reply to
DougW

Full and decent but needs changed.

You talking about the kickdown cable? Would that affect the hard shift?

What exactly does that involve? Cracking open an auto tranny is one of the few things I have yet to experience.

Reply to
Les

Yep. That cable controls the transmission shift points. Too taunt or too lose and the tranny can drag or be harsh on shift. It's more than just kickdown.

Fairly much it's dropping the pan and valve body. It's been a while since I was in there and one of my friends was helping. Generally I leave transmission work up to a good local garage when it goes beyond fluid/filter. Too many fiddly bits.

Reply to
DougW
42re band adjustment

billy ray

I should be able to handle that. I'm assuming that that sheet is out of the WJ's FSM? I've got one on the way for my 96. I also found the same info on Jeepforums.com, but the only discrepancy is that they have listed to turn back the Rear 2 7/8 turns, and the front back 2 turns compared to the 3 & 4 turns on your link. Could that just be the difference between model years?

I'll wait till I get my FSM before trying.

Reply to
Les

From the 1996 ZJ Manual

billy ray