ZJ transmission question

I have a 96 ZJ, V8 Quadratrack with 105k miles on it, 4.5" lift.

The transmission has had a quirk for about a year now. Right after it shifts to 2nd gear, 3 seconds after the shift it tries to shift again. It shifts out of 2nd, and than almost immediately returns back to second. It is between gears for that moment (rpms go up during this time). Total time is just a little longer than for a normal shift sequence.

It does not do it when under hard acceleration, only when under normal acceleration.

It started out doing it only when cold. Only once, never a second time. But now it does it every time you start out, warm or cold. Otherwise the unit works fine. When the quirk occurs it is completely predictable, only occurs at that time, and at no other. It only occurs when the transmission shifts by itself, never when I put it through the gears manually.

We have done the fluid flush and change. We have not done the transmission 'flash' yet.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Scott Stone

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, I don't think this is what the OP refers to. He is talking about a 2-3 flare.

WMS