'02 Sedona gas light

I have had my '02 Sedona for a month and a half now. I am only getting between 270 and 290 miles per tank. Is this normal? It's a 19.6 gallon tank.

Also, I have purposely tried to get my gas light to come on to see if it works. Well, I have been down to 2 gallons or less and it only comes on and then goes right back off. It never stays on all the time. I am wondering if something is wrong with it or is that normal? I have never seen one to come on and go back off like that.

It doesn't blink, it just comes on for a few seconds, then goes back off and may stay off for minutes before it repeats again. Thanks!

Sharon

Reply to
sharonx9

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 03:32:02 +0000, sharonx9 took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

Well, the Sedona sucks gas like it is a true van with a V8. It gets betwene 17-20 MPG. You have to find out how many gallons you're putting in.

I dunno. I get mine to come one for several days at a time. You've never had a GM truck, eh? On my Jimmy the light used to come on whenever I accelarated then would go back up to 1/4 tank when I got on the freeway.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Sharon,

In the '02 Sedona, the low-fuel warning light is controlled by the fuel-level sender in the gas tank. It has 3 wires. The newer ones have

2 wires and the low-fuel light is controlled by the gas gauge itself.

Many of the sender units in the '02 Sedonas are poor and it sounds like yours is no exception.

You'll get a better idea of your mileage if you calculate it by miles per gallon instead of miles per tank. Fill your tank to full. Reset the trip meter. When your ready for a refill, fill to full again. Take the number of miles on the trip meter and divide it by the number of gallons you pumped in (the second time only).

If you want to increase mileage by a mile or two per gallon, drop in a K&N high-flow air filter (which has the added benefit of only needing to be cleaned but never replaced).

-- Christian '02 Sedona EX

CMM

Thanks. I did call Kia today before I got your message and they said the same thing. I still have a few thousand miles on the warranty so I'm taking it in Wednesday to be fixed. I also checked on a filter for it and will probably be getting one. I checked mine today and it is pretty dirty.

Sharon

Reply to
sharonx9

Here's the best price I found on the K&N filter

. Free shipping. I was able to buy the filter and a recharge (cleaning) kit for less than the price I was going to have to pay at Advance Auto. And, it took Advance about three weeks longer to get it in than it took me to get mine in the mail.

Factory and other non-K&N filters are cheaper but not lifetime and you won't get a fuel savings.

Let us know how things work out.

-- Christian '02 Sedona

CMM

Make that, "contaminant intrusion."

Reply to
CMM

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:32:59 -0700, CMM took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

About 2700. I generally drive 75 -80, but on occasion pull up to 90 when traffic permits. Fortunetly, I drive 40 miles straight to work against traffic at 6:00 in the morning. Of course, I carpool, so I only actually drive it once a week. :)

The fastest I took the van was on a trip to Sedona (no kidding) a few years ago. When I was out in the desert, we pulled it up to 110. It handled very nicely. Of course, I was freaked out about the possiblity of Arizona state troopers pulling me over, so I slowed back down to

80-ish after a minute or so.
Reply to
PerfectReign

2700? That's pretty good. I expected it to be higher.

Sedona to Sedona; that is funny.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Very interesting. I wonder if the little "I drove a million miles" story on their website is true, not true, or somewhere in between.

-- Christian

CMM