03 Rio transmissin prob

Have an 03 Rio, live in North Florida , the overnight temp has been dropping to just above freezing at night. Each morning when it does the transmission won't move out of park for several minutes, I'm suspecting a temp sensor on the transmission is causing it . This is not a problem right now but it can get in the teens in January so I'm not looking forward to sitting in the driveway for 20 minutes when it does .Any suggestions ?

Thanks , Phil.

Reply to
Phil

I could be wrong and am not that familiar with the Rio, but I've never heard of a temperature sensor that would shut down a transmission if it's too cold.

If it's a problem in north Florida, imagine what it would do to someone in Iowa or Maine...

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

The 'check engine light ' came on this morning and stayed on all day, time for a diagnosis , hopefully all related .

Phil in chilly NW Florida .

Reply to
Phil

Let us know what you find out.

Reply to
CMM

Slight progress , talking to one of the guys in work yesterday , he suggested leaving it in neutral with the handbrake on and try shifting it in the morning . By the time I got home I had forgotten about it , so same thing this morning , wouldn't go into reverse , open the car door and pushed back with one foot and bingo , it went into reverse. He had asked me if the driveway was at an angle , didn't think there was much if any of a slope but I guess it's enough.

Reply to
Phil

Slope shouldn't matter if things were working as designed.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Talked with another guy at work , he's pretty sure it's the linkage between the brake and shifter , it gets coffee and other things nasty things dropped onto it ,attracts dust and binds up. Involves removing the console /shroud around the shifter and cleaning and lubing it . Sounds like a good job for today as I'm off .

Reply to
Phil