04 OPTIMA NOISEY BELTS

With the weather changing here in North Chicago, I notice that my belts are squealing pretty bad for the first few minutes. I have taken my KIA back to the dealer during the rain, and of course, the belts squeal everywhere except for when its on the lot. Has anybody else had this problem? It's a little embarassing when people look at me and my KIA squealing down the road for the first mile or two.

Reply to
Eksak

Il Thu, 25 Nov 2004 22:30:14 -0600, Eksak ha scritto:

Do not worry. Many cars do the same noise. Had the same -not really a- problem with Honda, Fiat and Seat cars before. Fixing it requires fine tuning the belts tension, which takes time, thus money. If the noise diappears after a few minutes, better to live with it and save your money for a better use. Franz Energia Nucleare ??? No, Grappa !!!

Reply to
Franz

Eksak,

I like to use the old "recorder" technique, just stand next to the culprit making the noise and record it. Play it back at the dealership. I've done that more than once and it seems to bring the "arguing" to null and my sanity is again unquestionned.

Reply to
Karell Ste-Marie

you need a mechanic who has a "Belt Tensioner" tool. Snap-On makes a perfect one. most mechanic have one. they then just dial in the factory spec. . what you are hearing is the belt slipping. the inside of the pully gets polished when this happens, and when it rains you hear it. it's still slipping just the same when it's not raining. just take a spray bottle full of water and spray the belt, it will do the same thing. even belt dressing will do the same thing. all you need is to have the belt tightened to spec

Reply to
helix

Hello group, I have recently bought a Kia Magentis (Optima) 2.5LX, (02), I Live in the UK and I'm looking to stiffen up the ride. I don't want to Lower the car or put big alloys on or anything silly like that, just make the ride a bit firmer. I've had a read of some of the post on here and you all seem to be over the other side of the world. I can't find a UK Kia group.

What is the Magentis based on? Could I buy a stock stiffer spring set?

Thanks........

Reply to
-----

Quick fix is to take a small amount of wheel bearing grease and rub it into the belt on the grooved side. Do a section an inch or two long and start it back up. Should quiet it down almost immediately.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000