04 Rio Cinco:2 Mileage Questions

I'm learning to love my new Cinco, but am a little concerned about an intermittent lack of power and what seems to be not very good mileage. What is the best way to calculate gas mileage and what kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks

P_

Reply to
Patrick Gault
  1. Fill up your gas tank and record the odometer reading.
  2. Drive your car.
  3. Next time you get gas, fill up the tank. Record your odometer reading and amount of fuel necessary to refill the tank.
  4. Divide the difference between the odometer readings (miles driven) by the # of gallons at the fueling in step 3 (amount of fuel used). This will be your miles per gallon.
Reply to
hyundaitech

This what I have been doing, but getting some weird variations in my calculations. I am guessing to get more consistent (accurate) numbers I should just stop filling when the pump shuts off rather than "topping off".

I drive about 90% highway miles @75 mph, and am only averaging @25-28 mpg, seem pretty low for such a small engine.

P_

Reply to
Patrick Gault
75 MPH may be enough to reduce your mileage. If you drive 55 or 65, your fuel mileage may go up considerably.

You shouldn't top off after the automatic cut off. This can get fuel in your canister and other places it shouldn't be. Just stop when the pump cuts off. Keep in mind that you will have some variation. The last time I checked fuel mileage on my car, it varied between 18 and 23 mpg regularly.

Reply to
hyundaitech