1999 kia sportage starting problems

I have a 1999 Kia sportage I purchased last year. Up until now it has been good to me. It is not fast but with todays gas hike I am glad I have it. It is the two wheel drive model about three weeks ago when I came back from vacation my son told me it wouldn't start sometimes. Well before I left for vacation a week it was runnung fine. So of course I balmed him but now everytime I go to start it. It acts like it wants to start sometimes and it doesn't. Now when I get in the car, I have to pump the gas a few times and then it will start or after I am driving it will stall out. Sometimes if I give it the gas real good it drives okay and I haven't had it die on me when I'm on the highway but it will stall. Sometimes it starts right away and runs fine. I thought it might be the feul filter, so I bought one but haven't put it in yet. Can someone guide me through this. The manual did not come with the car. Where does it go? Is this even the problem? HELP ME?

Reply to
michele80

the filter is on the left of the engine when you are facing the engine. you need a special tool to release the clips that hold the fuel line. you might also have a competant mechanic run a code check before you do that, and to check the fuel pressure also. I imagion you should be getting all sorts of codes by now.

Reply to
helix