2000 Kia Spectra

I have a 2000 Kia Spectra. The problem is when I accelerate the car chugs and the check engine light comes on. sometimes at idle it is very rough. When I read the code it is p301 misfire on cylinder one. I have changed the plugs, wires, injecter, and the catalytic converter. I dont know what else to change or where to go from here.

Reply to
kris via CarKB.com

p301 isn't a complete code. All OBD-II compliant codes are a letter followed by 4 digits.

Pull the plug for the #1 cylinder and look at the electrode. If it's covered in sooty black deposits then it is likely overfueling due to a bad fuel injector. If it appears normal then suspect an ignition problem. I've not worked on the 2000 spectra, does it have a distributor? Possible items are the distributor cap, if it has coil packs then you could have a problem there.

How old are the plug wires? I've seen perfect looking plug wires be bad due to a fault in the rubber portion that extends down into the cylinder head. Another possibility is a spark plug with a cracked porcelain section. If you cracked it during installation it can allow that cylinder to misfire to the head instead of firing the plug.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000

Check that the throttle position sensor is operating correctly, and no debris has gotten on the contact. This would not necessarily generate a code, but would give you a rough idle. Clean off the contact on the oxygen sensor also. If you live in the North East, the nice people who rip us off for fuel, had added Ethenol to the fuel. Try running a good fuel injector cleaner with Methanol in it, or have a mechanic do an isolated fuel injector cleaning. My mechanic just disconnected the fuel pump fuse, and put a small pressurized tank full of clean gas and methanol and injector cleaner, through the injectors. Made a world of diffrence. My misfire was from bad gas that showed up all over the New York area one week. The poor quality of the fuel causes the computer to try to corrct the problem, and it does this by retarding the timing, i.e., rough idle, and runs hotter.

Reply to
helix