2001 Kia Rio O-Rings & Defrost

Hi,

I recently got into a "rent to own" KIA Rio (2001). It had 54,000+ miles on it, then, within 3 thousand miles, I learned that the O-Rings have to be fixed for the oil was gone in a week. (It took one week to disappear after an oil change). I'm the 3rd owner of this vehicle, Carfax said nothing bad of the vehicle.

Also, during the winter of course, when ever I turned on the defroster on 1 and or to 4, the motor for the defroster would vibrate the dashboard and of course, the steering wheel.

...Anyone else have these problems and regarding the o-rings, what are the chances of a full recovery given the mechanic (I trust him and his expertise) gets the job done correct?

Thanks for your time and effort.

Reply to
W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com

54k is an extremely low mileage for a modern vehicle to have such problems. I offer two thoughts;
  1. The vehicle has either, been 'clocked' as we say in UK(ie speedometer wound back/exchanged) the blower motor lends some credence to this. or
  2. The vehicle has been abused and the rings are but one symptom. Probably.

If you go for the ring option then your mechanic will have the opportunity to check other vital items such as big-end bearing shells, valve gear etc. Further, if this involves engine removal, then clutch replacement may well be advisable.However,as you are in the US it's probably an auto-box anyway.

I know nothing about the positioning of the blower, but experience on many types of vehicle tells that it could be anything from a quick swap-out to a full dash removal to replace.

The chances of a full recovery are good IMHO but the cost could be quite high.

Get a quote for the work based on the known problems and you can make further choices if the stripdown reveals other problems.

hth

Reply to
Scraggy

Scraggy.....yes it's an auto-box (automatic) and thanks for your opinions, much needed they were.

William

Reply to
W. K. Mahler, Mahlers.Com