2002 Sportage Alarm Keeps Going off

Just purchased this 02 Sportage for my daughter (read yesterdays posting

with questions). It has an alarm on it. The way it works, as you may know,

is you lock the doors and the alarm is automatic. The horn beeps once to

activate; however, after a while (time inconsistent), the alarm will go off

as if someone is trying to break into the vehicle. But no one is. What is

tripping the alarm? We can not lock the doors without the alarm being

activated.

Looking for Advice.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, how many miles and how has this vehicle performed

for you (I've read that Kia quality has improved exponentially of late but

wondered if it was ever as bad as some purport...?).

-Cheers

Reply to
mark

Bob,

I have a 1999 Kia Sportage. In that model, you can either lock all of

the doors at once with the key which activates the alarm or you can

manually press down the driver's side lock and automatically lock all

of the doors without the alarm being activated. I have to manually

lock the doors during the winter because the severe cold will

ocasionally set off the alarm. I imagine extreme heat would do the

same thing to the sensors. The alarm will also drain the battery pretty

fast if left unattended. In my Kia, the alarm does not shut off until

you come out and unlock the door. Manually locking the doors should

get you around the issue until you can get a diagnosis on what's

happening with the alarm.

Amazonmama

Reply to
amazonmama

We just bought the vehicle. It has 53,000 miles on it. I took it to the

dealer today to diagnose the problem. They can't find anything wrong with

it. They said I have to leave it there all day and wait for the alarm to go

off.

They also said there is no way to deactivate the alarm.

I may have to take it back to them and just leave it there for a day. It is

still under warranty and I would like to get it fixed before the warranty

runs out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Thanks for the reply and good luck with your problem!

-Cheers

Reply to
mark

I might have stumbled onto something. I noticed that when I locked the

doors and set the alarm from the passenger's side, the horn was loud. When

I set the alarm from the driver's side, the horn sounded very weak and

sickly. I wonder if the key lock switch on the driver's door is going bad.

Reply to
Bob