2003 kia rio tries to die if i dont warm it up.. in texas weather

Anybody have this problem? The car has 24,123 miles and if i try to take off before its idled for about 2 minutes it will just almost stop like its gonnna die on me.

Reply to
syllinx

Could be a few things---

Clogged air filter/air intake Bad spark plug/plug wire/plug gapping Clogged fuel filter Poor fuel rail pressure(fuel pump) Clogged/dirty fuel injectors(unlikely, too few miles, rarely happens at high mileage) Bad sensor (do you or did you have a check engine light?) ECM problem

It is almost certainly one/combination of the above----- Start with the easiest to deal with and work your way through the list--some will require professional diagnosis---

Ferdy

Reply to
FerdyPooh

I have tried new wires and plugs and none of the lights come on. I have even tried disconnecting the battery for a hour and see if that resets the ecm. I was told today it could be that some gas stations are using oxygenated gas.

Reply to
syllinx

I have tried new wires and plugs and none of the lights come on. I have even tried disconnecting the battery for a hour and see if that resets the ecm. I was told today it could be that some gas stations are using oxygenated gas.

Reply to
syllinx

or it could be a kia rio sevrice recall from feb.. this it my post from

2/7/2004 hope it helps

Got this in the mail today hope it helps

KIA Kia Motors America, Inc. P.O. Box 52410 Irvine, California 92619-2410

February 6, 2004

Dear Kia Rio Owner: According to our records, you are the owner of a Kia Rio built in Model Years 2001 to 2003.

What is the Problem?

Kia has become aware of a few reports of Rio vehicles experiencing stalling during idling or at near stopped conditions in some 2001-2003 MY Rio vehicles built before November 1, 2002.

What Will Kia Do?

If your vehicle has experienced such problems, or if you are concerned that your vehicle may experience such problems, Kia will reprogram the Engine Control Module (ECM) to correct the problem described above at no cost to you.

What Should You Do?

If your vehicle has experienced such problems, or if you are concerned that your vehicle may experience such problems, please call your Kia dealer to schedule a service appointment. The time required to repair your vehicle should be less than one hour. However, depending on the dealer's work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time. Please present this notice when you arrive at the dealer.

If you do not arrange a specific appointment for this issue, Kia will perform the reprogramming at your next service appointment.

Important Vehicle Registration and Warranty Information

The state of California (Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts) has implemented the Registration Renewal/Recall Tie-In Program that requires the completion of Emission Recalls prior to vehicle registration renewal. Upon completion of the updating of the Engine Control Module (ECM) software, the dealer will furnish you with a "Vehicle Emission Recall-Proof of Correction" certificate, stating that the vehicle has been repaired. Be sure to keep this certificate, as it may be required as a condition of registering your vehicle with the State of California (Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts).

In order to ensure your full protection under the emmisson warranty provisions, it is recommended that you have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible. Failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle.

Have You Changed Your Address or Sold Your Kia?

If you have changed your home address, or if you sold your Kia vehicle, please complete the attached prepaid "Change of Address/Ownership" card and mail it to us.

What If You Have Other Questions?

Please call Kia's Consumer Assistance Center at 1-800-333-4542.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. However, we are taking these actions in the interest of maintaining your satisfaction.

Sincerely, Consumer Affairs Department

PLEASE RETAIN FOR YOUR RECORDS

Reply to
Abe