2004 Auto Sorento, with a clunk noise

When I stop in my Sorento, and then take my foot of the brake to start again i get this clunk nosie coming from the Automatic gearbox or transfer case.

Has any body had this problem, what do i do to get it fixed?

Reply to
dmarov

Are you in 4Wdrive? How many miles on this Sorento? Did you buy it new? If bought used did it come with any warranty?

Reply to
RoadofResistance

I found out from my dealer that there is a known problem with the earlier Sorentos involving the drive shaft, transfer case or both. It results in a "clunking" noise upon moving after braking to a full stop as one would do at a traffic light.

The first step is lubrication, followed by drive shaft removal and repair if the lubrication does not work. I don't know what they do in the case of a faulty transfer case.

There might even be a technical bulletin on it, at least in Canada but I'm not sure about that.

Hope this helps!

Reply to
Tim Lapin

it is in 2wd, 21,000kms and it was bought new.

Reply to
Damien

Go to this site and you will learn alot about your Sorie...

It is a great group

OK, here's what the bulletin says, word for word.

Some Sorento owners may complain of an intermittent "bump" feeling when coming to a quick stop or pulling out after a quick stop. When this occurs the driveshaft slip joint may be binding from lack of lubrication on the splines at the slip yoke. To repair this condition remove the driveshaft from the vehicle, mark the driveshaft orientation for balance purposes. Separate the driveshaft halves, apply valve grinding compound (Permatex P/N: 34A) to the splines, work the driveshaft yoke back and fourth approximately 40 times to buff the mating surfaces. Thoroughly clean off all valve grinding compound from interior and exterior splines and apply a thin coating of Steelco*, Industrial Lubricant P/N: 488-1 Red Crown lubricant or equivalent to the splines. Reassemble the driveshaft and road test to verify proper operation, replace driveshaft if condition is still present.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
ZÿRiX