2006 Kia Optima Start Problems

I bought a 2006 Optima June 30, 2006. About a month after I had it, I noticed some random starting problems--sometimes it start really rough, sometimes it would take more than one try to get it to catch, sometimes it would take a bit longer to crank for it to catch, etc. I took it to the dealership 6 times from August to October and they weren't able to duplicate the problem and then the weather started getting colder and it seldom happened. About a month ago when the weather started getting warmer, the problem is back and happens more frequently and when it happens, it sounds like the car is not getting enough gas when it starts and almost sounds like it's going to die and then it'll start running normally.

Now when it happens, it's usually during a "warm start." I can go to work in the morning, go to lunch 5 hours later and then it's when I'm coming back from lunch that it'll happen. A couple of weeks ago when I had it in the dealership, they did find one problem and fixed it but I got the car back and the next day, the same thing happened and again

4 days later. It's been in the shop since and the guy called me yesterday to tell me that it hasn't acted up on them since they've had it (it's been 8 days now), they've had the scanner thing on it and no codes are popping up and he's basically implying that they're going to give me the car back.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the problem? I know it's not a gas issue, I'm not putting my foot on the accelerator to start it (he asked me that yesterday), etc. I would like to tell them to replace "such and such" sensor but I have no idea which one:-) I guess my philosophy is that if they were willing to just "throw parts" at my window issue (see followup to another post), they should be willing to try changing some sensors.

Thanks.

--Molly

Reply to
mollyf

Your problem sounds like it could be a CKP sensor. You didn't mention in your post if the car was a V6 or 4 cylinder, however the intermittant symptom you are describing sounds an awfull lot like the crankshaft position sensor could be causing the problem. Have your dealer replace the one in your car, then take it and see if the problems reoccurs.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for responding, Steve. I'll have to ask them about that. They called me on Friday and told me to come and pick up my car since there was nothing more they could do with it at this time since it didn't act up on them and I voiced my frustration and said that it was obviously a sensor and asked why they just couldn't replace whatever sensor(s) that would cause this sort of behavior if it wasn't working properly. I got told there are many sensors that could have this symptom if it wasn't working properly.

I picked up the car Saturday morning and sure enough, it did the same thing again that afternoon. I called the dealership and he about sh*t because it acted up on me so soon. So I proposed to him that I keep a log of times, temperatures, etc. for 2 weeks so they would have data to go by for reproducing the problem.

It's a 4-cylinder and I really love my car--I just wish I didn't have to hold my breath everytime I start it:-)

Thanks again and I'll mention what you suggested when I take it back and will post the "fix" once it's found in case someone else has this issue.

--Molly

Reply to
mollyf