5 year 50k Bumper to bumper warr is BS

I just had my 2001 Optima with 45,000 miles on it towed in for misfiring.

It was running rough and the engine light came on.

So they say it's the ignition wires and those (and what other parts, I now wonder) have only a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. MY COST, $113.05

Funny, only thing I ever heard about before this was a 5 year / 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Reply to
T. D.

Ask them to show you where it says that on the warranty documents. Not sure if you're young or old, male or female, but some people will try to take advantage of others until they're proven wrong. I've seen it happen to my Dad and my wife several times. Not until I go back to the shop to dispute it would they finally agree that they were wrong in charging/overcharging.

Good Luck, Big Willie

Reply to
Big Willie

Ignition wires are like brakes, belts and hoses. They don't last forever since the rubber will eventually degrade. I would expect them to last longer than 45,000 miles under normal circumstances however. For example my 97 sephia has the original plug wires and I have 63k on the car.

I would have asked for the old parts to be returned to see if maybe the wires were damaged when you had the car serviced for something else. If you have a v6 optima, that plastic cover over the engine can damage lines and hoses if it isn't installed correctly. I would also check your warranty manual and see if the ignition leads are listed as a bumper-to-bumper item. The warranty manual that I got with my sephia was very well detailed in what exactly was and was not covered.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Part II. The parts did not arrive in the "overnight" shipment, so... I have NO CAR for the weekend.

Why not just go to Pep Boys, get a set of wires, and schlapp them on? Because they and none of the auto part chains in Rochester NY even have a listing for aftermarket wire sets.

Once again, I say (loudly) to myself, "I shoulda bought the Toyota."

re: the warranty and my original gripe, yes, alright, I do see where they are an expendable item. It's just that I really believed that for at least a while I wouldn't be spending over 100 bucks on a repair! Or in this case, over 100 for a repair, have to wait 4 days (for what is normally a very common tune up part) and 60-70 bucks on a weekend rental. THAT sucks.

Reply to
T. D.

Or A Neon or a Focus or a Civic or a Mirage or a Sentra or...

KIA and Hyundai are good cars but only if you are the original owner and plan to use that warranty until it is over. And you will.

OTOH, you could just buy a used Corolla for the same $8-$12K and get a better car in every way. I'm not a fan of new cars myself, as they are very poor choices economicaly.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
Chuck Davis

Well, did I mention Mercedes? No.

If you want indestructable, reliable cars, the Corolla and Neon(current model) are right at the top.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Reply to
Chuck Davis

No - I *did* state that they are great cars if you are the original owner and only drive 8-12K a year. My closest comparison is a 1980's GM car. The technology of both the Kia and Buicks form that era are simmilar, actually.

Good, solid designs, but not in the class of today's cars. Still, I got over 150K out of the two I ownded back then, plus 142K out of my current 1987 Buick "beater". The reason I compare the two is that you have to repair them at least every other month - they are high maintainence vehicles by today's standards.

Me? I love warranties. Get a loaner for the day and it's their problem to fix :) I'd go for a 10 year warranty myself asn that means I'm getting a free transmission sometime down the line, which is a $1200 expense I don't have to swallow.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

You really need to have the wires highpotted (tested under highvoltage) to see if they are not leaking. Also they must have the proper resistance. I have never seen a warranty that covers the plug wires after two years of service. ronm

Reply to
ronm

Reply to
ronm

Reply to
ronm

My choice is the Kia Sorento. ronm

Reply to
ronm

Thanks for everyone's comments, however,

Mr. Davis wrote

Why would

Toyota / Lexus are consistently #1 in initial customer satisfaction. Meaning that whereas they might be in the service bay once, maybe twice in the first year, they will not be back for 9 visits as was the case with my Optima (all detailed in earlier postings).

Any time you have a current year import you

For Ignition Wires? First, my car is a 2001. Second, I cannot think I am the only one getting up around 50k in mileage. Common tune up parts should be stocked. I'm not talking about an Alfa Romeo, and this isn't 1975 and I'm talking about my 1974 Honda Civic!

Reply to
T. D.

You can read obviously. So read the "Too good to be true" warranty Before you buy

[...]

Im Right

Reply to
ronm

Anything from Daimler Chrysler sucks. That's why their sales are at an all time low, and they are losing money.

Rob

Reply to
Sijuki

I've yet to do anything to my Kia besides oil changes... and one little short that was a quick fix. I have put 27k miles on it in the 11 months I've owned mine. I see nothing high maintenced about this car.... Now my buddy's VW that he has had for 4 months and 1 1/2 of those it has spent in the shop and the $2000 he has spent on repairs (clutch and paint job at 22k miles) is a high maintenece vehicle. My $12k Rio no. Sorry.

Rob

Reply to
Sijuki

How about a clutch? My buddy had to wait 3 weeks to get his for his Jetta, all the way from Germany. it's a 2001 and this is 2003. not 1975.

Rob

Reply to
Sijuki
3 weeks for parts? Did they ship them by ocean freighter?

On 2001 models you would now expect to see 30 to 60k miles. You would also expected to see a demand for tune up parts.

A clutch would not be expected to fail until over 100k.

Of course, on my Optima, the entire clutch assembly had to be replaced at

17,000. And the parts did take 4 days to arrive (probably via fed ex or ups)

highvoltage)

Reply to
T. D.