97 Sephia engine trouble

car has 47,000 on it and the engine light came on since it has been stalling and stuttering. I changed the Mass Air flow and that didnt do anything and I changed the plugs. Under a load it is bogging down but at an idle it does fine. it misfires and acts like it is flooded. any suggestions? took it to auto zone and it pulled up misfiring codes and the mass air flow sensor. The service department wont be open till monday so I was wanting to see if I could fix it on my own. Other than this the car has never given me any trouble and has been well card for oil changes and etc.

Reply to
AtomicDJ

and stuttering. I changed the Mass Air flow and that didnt do anything and I changed the plugs. Under a load it is bogging down but at an idle it does fine.

sensor. The service department wont be open till monday so I was wanting to see if I could fix it on my own. Other than this the car has never given me any trouble and has been well card for oil changes and etc.

I've seen this before, check the wires right at plastic connector that goes into the Mass Air Flow unit. Seems like heat or maybe a poor design (or both) is the reason this is problematic.

The only fix I can think of is replace the part, or move the wires around until the car is running well again.

sorry its a 99 Kia sephia

Reply to
AtomicDJ

The misfire suggest poor timing, and the MAS suggest either too much incoming air or the lack of.

Check your air filter, and the sensor in the box, which is the IAT(incoming air temp sensor), PCV valve on the valve cover (will cause the stalling if clogged), Look into the MAS for 2 thin wires, if there is only 1 or 1 and a half, its a bad MAS.

When was the last tune up on your car, sephia's need a timing adjustment every 35,000 miles or so. And if you did the IAT MOD then you would have the same symtoms.

Reply to
djtorello

I still think it might be the wires/connector near the MAS, move them around when the car is running and see if the idle drops or gets better.

SW

Reply to
Steve W.

maybe u need new o2 sensor it mixs the air and fuel and reset the comp by taking the batt cable off for about five min ,,the o2 sensor is on the headers

Reply to
BobBob