battery discharged

I have a problem with my Pride, and I need a help! Two days ago I left my lights on overnight, and I could't start a car next morning (obviously, 'cause the battery was empty). However, when I tried to start it with starting cables, nothing happened. I think I heard something about Kia having a computer which prevents starting the car with cables - is this so? And if it is, can I take my battery out, and simply recharge it and then start a car? Would that work after an attempt to start it with the cables?

Thanks!

erazmo

Reply to
erazmo

car starting with jumpers 101

If the battery is stone dead, you have to be patient, plus the running car should be above idle to charge the battery. it takes a while. Best thing you could do is buy a small battery charger (7-10 amp), and plug it in the wall charge it from that overnight. only thing you will loose are the radio presets. the car will run a little rough for a while, till it (the computer) relearns the codes, but it will eventually do it on it's own. be sure to check the terminal polarity, and the last connection should be the ground on the KIA chassis, NOT the battery ground. should be just fine after that. If the battery is more then 4 years old, you might start thinking about replacing it. Then it will have to relearn the codes again, but it's not a big deal. Mostly you'll notice it at idle for a few days.

Reply to
helix