Creaking Noise, Drivers Door

I ahve a 2003 Spectra. A few months back, I noticed an annoying creaking noise coming from the drivers door area. I had taken in to dealership several times. They replaced the entire interior doorpanel, T-column and even had car examined at a body shop. It still makes the noise on occasion. The noise only occurs when you are stopping, taking off or driving up a slight incline, sort of when the car flexes. Any suggestions? I was thinking it may be the latch rubbing?

Reply to
David Stegall via CarKB.com

I have the same problem with my 03 Sorento I think it's the non-metal bar that holds the door open. When I spray it with silicone it seems to help for a while.

Reply to
walkingtallwithstick

Hi David, As you say, there could be the possibility of a slight misalignment of the door latch, and the door latch striker? The door itself may have slightly settled over time, and the striker in effect now may be a bit high.

This can sometimes be seen if observing very carefully when the door slams, and latches, if the door appears to be raising at its closing point ever so slightly. Perhaps the use of masking tape will show this more precisely. Also look for any unusual rubbing at the latch striker.

Also make sure that the doors are even, and in line with the next door, or quarter panel behind it. If not, the striker needs to be adjusted inwards a bit. (To do any striker adjustments, it is helpful to mask around the striker in its original position with masking tape, this way you can always return to the original position if need be.)

I would lube all door hinges with oil, and a light coat of grease on the little plastic thingy by the hinges, which someone else has mentioned, clean, and then treat all door weatherstrips with Amour All, and also check all rubber hood stop bumpers for proper adjustment for height, making sure that the hood is in proper height alignment with the fenders (easy to do), and also give them a light coat with some grease.

The only other thing I can think of looking into, and checking for rattles/noises, would be the sideview mirror. Also, try this experiment, but with the window fully lowered. Hope this helps you, Mark

Reply to
Mark D