E85 question

Does anybody use E85 in their KIA? I have an 04 Optima and have been wondering if I can use E85 in it.

Reply to
Eksak

NO you MUST have a car engineered to run on E85 Otherwise, it will RUIN your engine.

Reply to
LandB

Kia and Hyundai have been a little slower on the uptake to add E-85 capability to some of their vehicles.

Supposedly, you will start seeing them by the first of the year.

Until then, the other writers advice stands - ONLY use E-85 on a vehicle equipped for it.

BTW, when they do come out, tax breaks are being made available to make purchasing an E-85 equipped vehicle a relatively good deal. It is not like trying to buy a hybrid.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

One thing to think about before buying an E85 car is that the fuel releases about 50% of the energy that gas does when it burns. This requires considerably more fuel to be burned in each cycle, resulting in less MPG than with 100% gasoline. With the cost of E85 being the same as regular gas (at least around northern Indiana) you need to decide if the benefits to the environment are affordable. (Sorry to any environmentalists reading this, but practicality usually wins.)

Reply to
LandB

But in states like Illinois and Indiana, E-85 averages around 30 to 40 cents cheaper per gallon, and that gap grows even larger with gas hovering around $3 a gallon.

I think it has to do with the tax credits offered in the various states - very generous in the two biggest corn-producing states; much less so in your state.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

==== It's still nasty stuff I won't use it unless forced to.