Electrical problem w/Kia

Bought a Kia on Monday. Before the test drive, salesguy says "when they've been sitting on the lot a long time, they have a hard time starting--no problem." Started after ten cranks or so. After test drive turned it off, it restarted instantly. No problem, I figured. Take it home. The next morning, no start. Again, it take ten or more cranks to get there, but once it's running a few minutes, if you turn it off, it starts immediately. Then it hits me this AM: it's behaving just the way it would if I had left the lights on, except that I haven't left the lights on.

Does anyone with a Kia have experience with some sort of mysterious power drain? It seems that once the alternator has been running for awhile, it will start promptly if there is no delay. But if you let it sit for a few hours, the battery acts like it's almost dead.

I had initially thought that it was fuel line condensation, but adding "Heet" to the fuel did nothing.

My owrry is that if I take it to the dealer, I'll get HMO-style medicine. They'll replace the battery and that won't work, then they'll replace the starter motor and that won't work. I sense that it's the circuitry somehow, and am hoping to narrow it down so that I can tell them what to look for.

Reply to
Kevin Hill

Start the car, wait until it gets to the point that it will restart properly. Make sure it restarts. Turn the car off. Disconnect the battery (negative cable first). Let it sit for a few hours (or overnight). If it starts properly, it's not a power drain... That's what I would check first.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Pitz

Bring the car back to the dealer, have them follow the procedures in Technical Service Bulletin #10001438, "Spectra Hard Start" (assuming it is a Spectra) The ECM needs to be reprogrammed. This link should take you to a copy of the TSB

http://152.122.48.12/prepos/files/Artemis/Public/TSBs/2003/SB-10001438-7134.pdf

Reply to
C0mdrData

That sounds really plausible, but its a Rio, not Spectra.

Reply to
Kevin Hill

i had the same prob its the clucth switch and comb weak starter brushes

Reply to
BobBob