Have you heard of this?

A Towing fool broke my key off in the ignition! It cost $250 to fix. The know-it-all mechanic said that there were "lines" scored on the key, probably from some problem in the lock mechanism. Yadda Yadda.

I've had my last car (and keys) for 20 years, current Kia for 6 years, with no keys breaking off in the ignition.

The locksmith did not note any problems in the lock mechanism for the ignition, and did no repair for whatever was "scoring" the key.

It's obvious to me that the key was improperly and violently torqued, causing it to break off in the ignition, but I was wondering if this has happened to others. I think it's a scam to cover up for improper violence with me car.

Reply to
The Usual Suspect

I had a similar problem with my 2001 Kia Rio. I had a duplicate key made at a hardware desk and the blank looked to be identical however it was a couple of mils thicker than the blank that should have been used. The key went in to the ignition but would not come out. No amount of pulling would get the key out so I had to replace the entire ignition module. I have the dealer make the keys now.

Reply to
MikeinSTL

we have 4 kia,s in the family all of them at one time or another have had to have keys made for them never ever a problem

Reply to
Billy Jo Bobby

Thanks a lot! I knew that I would get some replies. I will look for the better key makers, that's for sure. I'm going after getting my money back.

Reply to
The Usual Suspect

Yea, sounds like 'Bubba' screwed up your ignition. Good luck!!!!

Reply to
631grant

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@d19g2000prm.googlegroups.com...

Yup. It turned out to actually be $280.00. the Idiot mechanic put his stupid "theory" that the key was damaged beforehand on the receipt, so my claim was sandbagged at the same time. I called the locksmith, and the locksmith said that the mechanic was talking a line of hooey. If KIA keys break, it's mostly at the top of the key. Mine was broken at the tip.

I trust no mechanic in Sacramento any more. What a bunch of crooks.

Reply to
The Usual Suspect