KIA Problems

Check out this web site which outlines a class action law suit in PA

I was considering a KIA Optima but this changed my mind.

Those that have some of these problems should copy this Judgement and present it to the dealer you are dealing with and inform them that if your repair is not to your reasonable satisfaction that they will be reported to the state consumer affairs office along with a copy of the Pa. Judgement for possible class action against Kia and the dealership.

Reply to
Elwood P. Suggins

Did you look at the date on this? That was from 2002. The sephia does not have a brake issue so long as the rotors are true and you use the updated pads from kia, or get a good set of pads from Napa. Kia revised the design of the pads, including a slot in the middle and a chamfer on either edge to eliminate the problems reported with abnormal noises and vibration during braking.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Actually, Kia updated the pads and rotors and will update them for free if the vehicle falls into the production range where the older design parts were used. Customers were also given the option of taking cash instead of the repairs.

The Kia Optima (a cloned Hyundai Sonata) does not have this issue. The V6 version is a fine automobile on nearly every front.

I have never found an instance in my 5 years as a Kia technician where Kia would not stand by their vehicles and they always made a solid commitment to making them better.

Reply to
hyundaitech

For the first time since I got it new, at 67,000 miles I did the front brake pads on my 2001 Optima yesterday.

I could not pry the old pads out! I had to beat them out with a hammer! They were wedged in pretty good. I removed the entire pad holders on both sides, sandblasted the clips and underneath them, coated all with some brake piston grease, and man, what a difference! The pads slide in nice and although I hadn't notices the gradual change, It takes half the foot effort to stop the car.

The interference seemed to be a combo of corrosion (I'm in NY state) and brake dust buildup.

This is probably a common issue, so I recommend having a GOOD shop do your brake service. At a 50 dollar brake pad place, pepboys, etc, I am sure the tech would've just hammered the new pads into place.

Reply to
Thom Davis

The Kia pads come with the replacement shims and clips. You won't be able to get them for $20, but the job is made very easy.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I had a similar issue with my sephia. My original brakes were shot at

38,000 miles and the rotors were garbage(I sent kia a nastygram about this demanding reimbursement for the rotors, never heard a peep). The outboard pad was glued to the caliper and I had to pound it off just like you did.

I'm not sure 'brake piston grease' is what you want to use on the back side of the pads. Typically you coat the sliding pins with the special grease(I use the red stuff that comes in a tube from autozone) and use the anti-squeal glue on the backside of the outboard pad and on the center section of the inboard pad. The whole idea is to prevent the pad from rattling around and making expensive-sounding noises when going over bumps at slow speeds.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

The only beef I've had with the sonata is the cam and crank position sensors failing(basically the wiring seems to just fall apart in your hands when you remove them) and the rubber hoses that are just total crap. A buddy of mine has had to replace the high pressure power steering line and the main fuel supply line, the former because it ruptured, the latter because the rubber was deterorating and left alone it probably would have started leaking fuel.

Fortunately the car isn't all that difficult to work on so doing the repairs wasn't out of the scope of your average shade-tree mechanic.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

I've seen several 2.5 V6 crank sensor problems, but wire quality wasn't one of them, and this was primarily limited to 1999-2001 models. A redesign of the crank sensor seems to have cured the problem. I've not replaced a single cam sensor on a Hyundai Sonata since about 1997, I believe.

The power steering hoses and lines you mention have also been an issue, but it also appears Hyundai has taken measures to prevent a second occurrence.

This is why I think Hyundai compares favorably to American cars. Their long-term reliability seems similar, but Hyundai is committed to improving their product when they find a problem. American manufacturers haven't convinced me they do the same.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Sorry, not piston grease... caliper grease. Some GM stuff, it's looks like petroleum jelly but it's sorta blue. And I used it on and under the clips, the raybestos pads cam with nice adhesive backed anti squeal pads.

I'm happy to say that the slide pins were great - that was something I always had to struggle to free up clean and lube on Honda's.

Reply to
Thom Davis

been there, done that. At 62k, just as I was got into Myrtle Beach, at the end of an 800 mi drive (thank god it was at the END) my high pressure line busted a move near the frame. Of course I was bummed since I was JUST over the 60k warr. I did the free roadside assistance, had it towed to KIA TIME in North Myrtle Beach. The service was SPECTACTULAR, AND the great service guy there put everything through under the warranty.

Reply to
Thom Davis

I had to do a crank position sensor on a 99 sonata with the V6, and when got the sensor out of the block the wires were showing signs of deteroriation. I flexed them a little bit and the outer jacket fell off, and then the insulation crumbled around the 3 wires inside. It looked like the wiring had been damaged by oil contamination but there was no evidence of anything leaking in the immediate vicinity. Replacing the sensor cured the main complaint(stalling/momentary surging etc).

Chris

Reply to
Hal

i have purchased a 2000 model kia sportage. does it qualify for the updated pads and rotors or was that only on the optima. thanks vmp

Reply to
vmp

Hi VMP, I did a search on recall Kia Sportage (plus the year). That should bring up the recalls and other problems for your specific make, model, and year. Good Luck. Lily Mae

Reply to
Lily Mae