Kia Sedonas Suck

If youre thinking of buying one, don't. Worst thing I've ever bought. Pure, unadulterated crap.

Reply to
Wormwood

Uhm, no, not really. I love mine, as do lots of other people. go check out

* for more owner reviews of their van. A much, MUCH better van than my 1999 Ford Windstar.

Reply to
Jamie Aycock

Wormwood

How about some details about your problems. We've had our Sedona for 6 months 8000 miles now and the van has been great. So far we have had only

3 minor problem.

  1. Noisy window regulator. (Replaced by the dealer)

  1. Loose armrest. (Just a loose bolt)
  2. Check Engine Light came on once. (Loose evap hose on the gas tank)

All of these things were fixed quickly by the dealer, usually during a scheduled oil change. Reliability had been great. The van is parked outside and this winter we have had temps as low as -12. The van has started right up and driven fine everytime. For the money I saved buying this van as opposed to a Toyota I don't mind going through a short shakedown period.

Joe Fugazzi

Reply to
Joe Fugazzi

How about...

Sudden acceleration, bad fuel filter, starter solenoid going out, goes through tires like crazy.

Reply to
Desmond

Don't feed the trolls

Reply to
419-Buster

Goes through tires like crazy? Sounds like the driver's the problem.

Our 2003 has been on many cross country trips, in desert heat for hours at high speeds, at high altitudes and sea level, etc. with one two very minor problem that was fixed by the dealer immediately. We have about 15,000 miles on ours.

Problem 1. Sticky pressure release valve near gas tank caused excess gas fumes after I drove from sea level in CA to Denver, CO with 96 degree days in Denver. Thornton, CO dealer took great care of us "out-of-towners". Problem 2 driver side sliding door opens hard, will take to dealer this week for repairs.

Sudden acceleration, bad fuel filter, starter solenoid going out, goes through tires like crazy.

Reply to
ParkLover

32,000 miles here - several trips out to the desert - Sedona, Zion, Las Vegas, Mammoth - no issues.
Reply to
419-Buster

I own a 2002 Sedona, which I purchased the last week of July 2002. I have had the following major problems with it:

(1) Windshield cracking due to temperature stress Winter 2003 - warranty item. Although this was a warranty item, my dealership indicates that Kia does not offer rental car service; thus, lost a day at work (more on the rental car below). I then got into an argument becuase they removed my tires and told me they would not put a new sticker on my car unless I replaced the brakes and tires...they claimed they would not pass inspection. This was not an inspection issue (it was a warranty issue) and I refused. Had it checked at another dealership and did not need brakes OR tires. This was at about 7,000 miles.

(2) Complete air conditioning unit failure July 2003 - warranty item. Although this, too, was a warranty item, I experienced a horrible time trying to get it replaced. Only part of the entire unti was ordered, the other part of my unit was "floating around the Kia plant" and although had my name tagged onto it, could not be located. This would lead you to believe that it was a dealership problem, but corporate Kia was no better (part floating around in the warehouse??) Meanwhile, I was renting a car out of my own pocket. After being sick of dealing with the dealership, I ended up contacting Corporate, and then found that it is up to the dealership whether or not you get a rental (not Kia). Needless to say, after much griping about my part that "we guarantee will be in tomorrow"...3 days later...I got partial reimbursement for my rental. Repair took a total of one week.

(3) Oil pan "shaking" loose January 2004-warranty item. Sorry, I've been driving for 20+ years now, and have owned 3 new cars and 4 used cars. I have NEVER heard of an oil pan "shaking" loose. NOt hitting it and it coming loose, but actually just deciding one day to come loose! This was yet another lost day at work, no rental.

I have 24,000 miles on my van. I drive 40 miles roundtrip to work each day (highway driving, not alot of stopping/starting). So far I have gone through the original tires (replaced @ 12,000 miles) and have replaced my brakes (12,000 miles). When the car was in for the oil pan catastrophe (above) I was told I needed breaks AGAIN! My first question was how in the heck do you know I need brakes if you didn't remove the tires (only looking at the oil pan), and then how in the heck could I need brakes after only 5,000 miles?

I am also looking around on the net and now see there was a recall on the seatbelts back in March 2003 (which I was not notified about). This will be yet another trip to the dealership with a lost day at work.

Another tidbit...when I had my van towed with the oil pan, the tow truck driver (who ended up knowing my husband when they were growing up!) told me countless stories of Kia Sedonas being towed in, 24,000-32,000 miles on them, big issues (not a flat tire kind of issue, but major problems). Don't know how much credence you can give to this since I'm sure he could list situations with every brand of car, but I thought it to be interesting.

I like the safety information on my car, and I LOVE the roadside assistance (I've used it many times), but these "major" items that have gone wrong in 1.5 years of ownership just blow my mind. And my dealership is absolutely horrendous. Not sure if I'd buy another one.

Pam Brigandi Havertown, PA

Reply to
pam225

[...]

Not sure where my post went...I posted a lengthy reply and it's MIA.

I own a 2002 Kia Sedona purchased the last week of July 2002. I've had "weird" problems..

(1) cracked windshield - warranty issue. ~7,000 miles. Cracked due to temperature stress January 2003. Windshield replaced, no rental car offered at dealership, lost a day at work. (more on the rental car issue below). While they had the van, dealership decided to remove tires and then proceeded to tell me before they could put the new inspection sticker on the window (remember, this is a warranty issue, not an inspection) I would need to replace the brakes and all 4 tires! After arguing with the service manager, they put my tires back on my car and put a new sticker on my windshield (for the same date that it was previously on it...which is what I wanted them to do...wasn't looking to extend my inspection period). Took it to another shop, did not need tires or brakes.

(2) Complete air conditioner unit failure (including condensor) - warranty issue. 12,000 miles. July 2003. Dropped off, was told parts would be in the next day, I went and rented a car. Next day, only part of the "whole unit" came in. Was told the rest would be there the next day. Guess what? No part the next day. 3 days with a rental car...the service manager was of no assistance whatsoever. I called Kia Corporate and filed a complaint. Then I found out that although my part was ordered, it was "floating around the warehouse"...my name was tagged to the part (there was only one in the warehouse at the time), but they could not find the part!! They couldn't tell me when it would be shipped. They also told me that it was up to the dealership, not Kia, to offer rental. Needless to say, I went back to the dealership and spoke to the owner. I received reimbursment for 1/2 of my rental cost. The car was at the shop for over a week.

Right around this time I had my car inspected at another shop...only needed 2 tires and still had good brakes...12,000 miles.

(3) Oil pan "shook" loose - warranty issue. January 2004. 24,000 miles. I've been driving for 20+ years. I have owned 3 new cars and 4 used cars. I have NEVER heard of having an oil pan shake loose! I actually thought the oil pump had gone, but no, it was the pan that shook loose! Oh, and when I had it in for that service call, they told me I needed brakes and tires again...can someone explain to me how, if they did not remove the tires, they could tell me I needed brakes again???? I only had 5,000 miles on them.

All told, I have replaced 4 tires (just had the other 2 replaced last week), and brakes replaced. I drive 40 miles r/t a day, 5 days/week. I drive highway miles only, not alot of stopping/starting. I have spoke to other people in the office that, although they do not own a Kia, drive more miles than I do in any given week (they are sales people driving up and down the east coast) and they don't go through tires/brakes like I am.

I like their safety ratings...I know I am driving a safe minivan. However, I am very dissatisfied with the service I am receiving from my dealership (understanding that this is a dealership problem, not a car problem). I also don't understand the "weird problems" I am having...sounds like all the bugs were not worked out of the car before it went to market.

FYI...I have also read that there is a recall on 2002 Sedonas for 2nd and 3rd row seatbelt issues. This was issued in March 2003...I never heard about it from my dealership, but the next time I bring it in there for another "weird problem" (I am confident at this point that there will be more!) I plan on bringing it up...maybe I'll only miss one day of work for 2 warranty issues!

Take care,

Pam Brigandi Havertown, PA

Reply to
pam225

(snip)

I was *this* close to buying a KIA a year ago and then did some research and it was clear - if you drive a lot of highway miles like this(I do a lot of highway miles as well, living 1 block from the freeway onramp near me), you are better off with a mile-eater like a Crown Vic, or a Buick a couple of years old.

10-12K for a 2-4 year old model is common, and getting an extended warranty for another 4-5 years is usually possible as it is a first owner/company lease return.

Then put miles and miles and miles on the thing. Never worry about oil pans failing or eating tires(I get about 30-40K out of a set on my old beater Buick), or other problems.

If you want extreme reliability, just get a used late 90's Volvo 940 or 960.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Yea, the gas mileage is really bad, but I did my research too, and decided the rest of the features, warrantee and sticker price outweighed the gas hog issue. My van gets 15 mpg in town and 17 - 20 mpg on open road.

(snip)

I was *this* close to buying a KIA a year ago and then did some research and it was clear - if you drive a lot of highway miles like this(I do a lot of highway miles as well, living 1 block from the freeway onramp near me), you are better off with a mile-eater like a Crown Vic, or a Buick a couple of years old.

10-12K for a 2-4 year old model is common, and getting an extended warranty for another 4-5 years is usually possible as it is a first owner/company lease return.

Then put miles and miles and miles on the thing. Never worry about oil pans failing or eating tires(I get about 30-40K out of a set on my old beater Buick), or other problems.

If you want extreme reliability, just get a used late 90's Volvo 940 or 960.

Reply to
ParkLover

When I purchased the van, I was only working about 5 miles from home. Shortly after I purchased, I got a great job, but the commute is the 40 miles r/t. If I knew I would be commuting like this, I would have gotten something small and extremely fuel efficient.

Oh, and sorry for the multiple posts...thougth I had only posted once...

Take care,

Pam

Reply to
pam225

Shortly after I purchased, I got a great job, but the commute is the 40 miles r/t. If I knew I would be commuting like this, I would have gotten something small and extremely fuel efficient.

Yeah, sounds like a very dreary situation.

I can relate to your rental car issue. For the most part, unless you drive an upscale Nissan (aka Infiniti), Toyota (aka Lexus), or Cadallic, you probably won't get a loaner. I've had that issue with some cars in the past.

Good luck. I'm going to check into that oil pan. I keep getting leaks about every other oil change. I've never had so many. It seems there's something about the filter that makes the mechanics not put it on right sometimes.

Ah well...

Reply to
419-Buster

Volvos are more durable than reliable. The drivetrains will last forever but there's a lot of problems with things like electrics and interior parts. Windows and AC are two big things.

Reply to
xxx