Kia Sportage

Ok, I give! I keep reading horror stories about how the Sportages fail apart after 50K...I want to buy a 2000-2003 one..I really like their looks and feel...I always drive my cars until they reach around 200k .....Should I give up on a Sportage and go with another Honda CRV or Isuzu Rodeo?

Reply to
:-)Liz

Liz, I am owner of Sportage 97 with 100K mix driving with some serious 4x4. It had only 1K dealer service, after that its just oil/filter change I do myself, normal 10K. So far not even 1 problem, it is great car for me.

In contrast my wifes 318 95 BMW with 120K is FULL OF PROBLEMS. Dealer service from new.

cheers jerry

Reply to
Jerry D

Any car will fall apart if you don't take care of it! you have to do the maintenance. At 60,000 you MUST change the timing belts and roller pulleys. If you change the oil every month or 3000 miles, use a good quality filter such as STP filters or Wix (never use Fram filters) and stick to one brand of oil. I only use Castrol in my cars. The next one I will only use Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filters from day one, the Kia will run way beyond 200,000 miles, as will any car if you take care of it. Change the transmission fluid AND filter screen, and fuel filter every 30,000 miles. The fuel filter is particularly difficult to change, and requires a special tool to get it out. The engine is Japanese, the suspension was designed by Lotus. The only short fall I found was the original brake pads were cardboard it seems and left black stuff on the mags. Change to Bendix titanium pads, and change the fan belts to Gates, at 12,000 miles, which is a normal service interval. These two items will set you back about $50 additional in parts but in the long run will save you much grief later. The black stuff will go away, as will the anoying squeeking when it rains. Aside from that, the car runs like a swiss watch. I'm on my second. I was a Subaru fan.

Reply to
helix