Leaky Master Cylinder in 2000 Sportage

I am having problems with a leaky master cylinder on my 2000 Sportage (4x2) with automatic transmission +/- 27,000 miles.

Brake light started coming on in March, had brakes checked, they said I was low on fluid - this fixed light coming on. In early May I left the car with my parents when I was out of town, my Dad noticed brake fluid leakage and figured out it was coming from the master cylinder. The dealership said it was not coming from the MC, but the MC's wetness was due to "overflow." Then, they charged me $50 for looking at the car when I had a problem that "wasn't covered by warranty." They wanted to do $500+ worth of work on it which my Dad said was in no way necessary, since it was obvious what the problem was (MC) so we took the car and went to Meineke.

Front brakes needed replacing (at 26,000 miles, I thought that was a little early. The guy at Meineke went on to say that I needed to use my emergency brake when parked, which will redistribute pressure to front and back brakes equally, this sounds like a bunch of baloney to me, any opinions?)

After the front brakes were replaced and brake fluid was refilled (second week of May) I had no problems. But last Sunday the brake light started coming on again when I had to stop hard, and this morning there was a 6" diameter wet spot under the left side of the engine. As soon as I started driving the brake light came on every time I even tapped the brakes. I drove straight to the dealership, and they are looking at it now.

My question is, is this a known problem? I did a brief Internet search last night and found several other complaints from people regarding leaky Kia master cylinders. Anyone here have any information/advice?

Sflayer

Reply to
sflayer