loses power running air or defroster

HELP... I owe a 2001 kia sephia took it for an oil change and to diagnose this losing power problemWHEN I use ac or defroster. I can live without the air, but windshield defroster runs off of ac motor/fan!! I was ran thru the cleaners tuneup, timing belt, flush trans,fuel filter,brakes etc. My car still lunges on shifting, lights dim, wipers barely move with front defroster on. I can turn it off and everything returns to normal. The dealer did not even test drive my car to diagnose the problem, or to see if it was resolved as my mileage was the same enter and exit. I am laid off just paid $900. AND MY CAR STILL HAS A PROBLEM !!! CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT CAN BE, MY HUSBAND IS VERY ANGRY WITH ME, AND I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ANY MORE MONEY. MY CAR HAS 60800 MILES.

Reply to
missyuhaul

I think it's and a electrical problem a short in the fan system your heater is using. I don't think it had anything to do with your engine.

Reply to
CardSharking

"" wrote: > missyuhaul wrote: > > > HELP... I owe a 2001 kia sephia took it for an oil change > and to > > diagnose this losing power problemWHEN I use ac or > defroster. > > I can live without the air, but windshield defroster runs > off of ac > > motor/fan!! I was ran thru the cleaners tuneup, timing belt, > flush > > trans,fuel filter,brakes etc. My car still lunges on > shifting, lights > > dim, wipers barely move with front defroster on. I can turn > it off and > > everything returns to normal. The dealer did not even test > drive my > > car to diagnose the problem, or to see if it was resolved as > my > > mileage was the same enter and exit. > > I am laid off just paid $900. AND MY CAR STILL HAS A PROBLEM > !!! CAN > > SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IT CAN BE, MY HUSBAND IS VERY > ANGRY WITH > > ME, AND I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE ANY MORE MONEY. MY CAR HAS > 60800 MILES. > >

thanks for the reply, I took some prior advice and went to autozone for a free battery and alternator test, my alternator is fine, but my battery was shot! I replaced the battery and drove all day with the air cranking...problem solved. I will keep your reply in mind in case further trouble should arise. Thank you!

Reply to
missyuhaul

I own a 2004 rio it does same thing was told by kia motors rep (not dealer) that this is not fixable the ac unit is to big for engine and creates a lot of drag when used. Just a bad design

Reply to
mecircusboy

Check your manual and discover how the defroster system works. The A/C kicks in by default to reduce humidity in the cabin and condensation on the glass.

You should be able to shut off the A/C manually in this situation and recover the lost power. Just make sure you have the 'Recirc' switch set for fresh air intake and, if push comes to shove, open a rear window a little to 'balance' the humidity in the cabin with what's outside.

Just to see how much drag the A/C compressor puts on such a small motor try full acceleration with the switch on and turn it off as you continue to accelerate. You'll feel a distinct surge in power as the compressor kicks out.

It's a trade-off between personal comfort and good mileage :-)

Reply to
Newtokia