need to replace radio in 2001 Kia sportage

Need to remove dash trim in order to remove and install the radio. Looks like the whole dash trim must be removed in order to replace the radio . I got started then lost my nerve as the part around the steering wheel would not come loose . The top cover over the steering wheel came off but the bottom part of dash would not?? "2001 Kia sportage"

Reply to
robert

the entire black part of the dash is one big casting. if you hang upside down under the dash, there are 2 screws toward the front you have to remove, and two in the back bottom, then the top and botton of the wheel cover comes off. then the unit comes out. stupid design, but that's how you do it. I had a loose antennna connector in the radio. took 2 seconds to fix, 3/4 an hour to get to it.

Reply to
helix

bottom dash does not come off, only the cover has to be loosened. then there are about a dozen screws and the whole thing comes off. I had a loose radio antenna connector, so I had to do it. the 2000 kia was easy, the 2001 a bit of work.

Reply to
helix

only thing you need to remove is the part around the Radio it all trim. after that just remove the bolts that hold the radio in place and replace it.

Reply to
Tom