Oil Plug

I want to purchase a magnetic oil plug for my Sedona. Anyone know what size the threads are (I forgot to measure them AGAIN - during my second oil change)?

Reply to
bhall

If you are getting magnetic particles in the oil then you have a very serious problem; a magnetic drain plug will not even begin to address this. Most of the metal particles that would otherwise accumulate at the bottom of the oil pan are infact trapped by the oil filter during normal engine operation. Thus, no magnet is needed on the drain plug. The filter will trap whatever might otherwise accumulate down there.

The only time I have seen magnetic drain plugs do any good at all is on a manual shift transmission. Genearally speaking in a manual gearbox the only way the bearings are lubricated is by the action of the gears churning through the oil, i.e. no pump, no filter. The drain plug usually has an internal magnet, and you remove the debris from it when you change the oil. Generally this is done when you replace the clutch. The only exception I know of to this rule is the old VW beetle/super beetle/thing/karmann ghia, et al, which specified a 30,000 mile interval for replacing the hypoid gear oil.

Chris

Reply to
halatos2000