Optima Purchase

In the next few months, I will be looking to replace my 0-6 Accord I4 coupe with an Optima -- most likely the EX model with the package that upgrades the sound system with the sunroof. I driven Hondas for years, but think that the current models lack in design and quality. In sum the Koreans appear to have surpassed Honda. I have considered the turbo model, but my experience with turbos in the past tell me that reliability suffers -- burned out and shortlived turbos etc. For those who have driven Hondas in the past or considered a new Accord -- how do rate the comparison. Overall, are there any particular problems with Kia -- i.e. I have read about the alignment problems (pulling to left or right) I should be aware of.

Reply to
tww1491

All I can tell you is wife's '02 Optima V6 now has 140,000 on the odometer & has been the most maintenance free care we've ever owned. After initial new car issues, specifically window regulators, the car ran trouble free until over 100,000 miles. Both the input & output sensors for the automatic transmission had to be replaced, plus the factory radio. And then....... nothing. In our experience, KIA stands for:

K eeping I t A ffordable

Rich

Reply to
<z

I have an 06 Kia Spectra with 65000 miles on it. Non turbo. So far I have had to replace both license plate light bulbs and one headlight bulb. Nothing else has gone wrong with it. It is probably the easiest car to work on that I have ever owned. Also, the most synergistic. And has the best factory stereo I have ever had - no reason to get a better stereo. My one complaint is low gas mileage. Around town I get 24 mpg, highway 28 mpg. Flat freeway using cruise, 31 mpg. No alignment problems.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I was very pleased with my 03 Kia Sorento bought in 2005 from a Kia dealer used with about 20K miles on it. Then it got older. Electrical problems galore. Refused warranty because it was a demonstrator or loaner by the first dealer. (I can explain later, if you want) Rusted thru rear brake line at 80000 miles! (Always garaged) (Warranty is only

62000 miles in Canada. Now dash lights out most of the time, for about 2 years. Refused to fix bad antenna connection while still under warranty. Most Kia parts are AT LEAST twice the price of name brand replacements at a parts store. I will have to repair the connector in the heater controls again. It's like a PCI bus connector for the computer savvy - not for the rigors of an automobile. Spark plugs replacement time on its fore-and-aft V6 is 2 and a half hours. Fuel pump is $500, part only. Timing belt coming up soon at $500. (It's an interference engine.) Dealer offered $5000 for my trade, but only charged me $1800 more on a cash deal a week later. NEVER AGAIN!! Still got the factory spark plugs in it, though. Somebody is going to have fun getting those out. It's a "kit" car. Hyundai engine, Nissan transmission, Eaton axles, BorgWarner xfer case, Delco radio etc. Lucas? Try a Google search on "kia sucks". What does KIA stand for, anyways?

I hope to trade up to a nice used Yugo. Beware.

Reply to
name

[...]

Thanks for the input. I remember the Yuga -- a fiat by any name.

Reply to
tww1491

in2dadark wrote in news:6b09a27f-f497-436c-8ece-0a35b4ca3ca6 @q16g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

Accord

design

Electrical

connector

hours.

anyways?

versions

I have an '07 Rondo, built on the old Optima body. So far the only repair, done under warranty, were the sway bar links wearing and causing a rattle over bumps. It has the new 2.4 engine which has a timing chain, no belt. I think all the new Kia engines have a timing chain now.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
Bob Babskie