replacing a wasted Rio motor

I buy a 01 Rio for cheap with a locked up motor.

I pull the head off and find every exhaust valve head broken off. Yep this motor is a goner!

I get on the phone and get wacky quotes from some for $1000 for a used motor. Screw that! One place has one for $500 but they cant make it run. It has OK compression so I tell them pull it and I'll be back tomorrow.

SOoo I get this motor home from the junkyard. It has a hard spot as I turn it over.

I pull the head. OK its not a cam getting stuck. But I do find one bent intake valve

I pull the oil pump. That doesn't fix it either.

I flip it upside down and wonder if the weenies dropped it and the crank is bent. I loosen the rear cap. No change

Then I see where the interference might be. Of course by this time only about 12 bolts separate a COMPLETELY diassembled motor from the assembled one I came home with!!!!

I pop off the #1 rod cap and push the piston out. Ahhh now it spins free!! SEVERE bend in #1 rod! Arrrgh! All that disassembly and aggravation on a motor that SHOULD have run.

Oh well.

What are odds of having maybe ONE good rod from the other motor???

(-:

-SP

Reply to
Speedy Pete

How about take the cylinder head from engine #2 and put it on engine #1(assuming the bottom end is still good....)

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Just to let you know- Original motor was completely trashed. All that is salvadgable are cams and possibly the crank. But I think I can find a straight rod in there even though they took quite a hammering!

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete