Sedona Rust !!

Is anyone out there aware of a chronic problem with rust on Kia Sedona's that Kia dealers have been notified of but cover up??

My Kia Sedona EX has rusted on the back door around the chrome fixture that surrounds the license plate after only 1 year. Kia re-painted the door, and it has rusted again within 3 months.

Can't wait to see what they do for an encoure!

Pissed off in Burlington, Ontario Canada.

Reply to
Remington Steele

Rust? Is that from the snow? Don't you get snow in Ontario? I've heard that places with snow tend to have cars that rust.

If so, why would you be driving a 2WD? Wouldn't you want like a K5 Blazer or a Bronco II to drive in such a place?

Reply to
SpielMitMir

Holy Stupid! No, rust isn't from snow. Does it rain where you are? Snow=rain in a solid form. Rust is a result of the use of salt on the roads and a chemical reaction taking place on untreated metal. The best rust protection is a painted surface, especially if galvanized.

You'd also be wrong about places with snow have cars with rust?!?! Ummm, since the late '80s, cars have had galvanized body panels on most vehicles. I have a 1987 Volvo 760 GLE, with 250 K kms, with NO visibile rust. It was only rust proofed once in the time we've owned it since new. I also have a 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 S, without any rust, and Italian cars were known for rust buckets. I also owned a 1982 Toyota Tercel (sold it about 4 years back), the thing was amazing, very little rust for its age!!!)

We are talking about a vehicle (Kia) being NEW and only rusting after a year?!??! come on now, that is unheard of.

2WD? Why not? My sister drives a 2WD Volvo 850 that would probably do better in the snow that we get than ANY Ford product (the 850 is still a pre-Ford takeover). The 850 with snow tires is a capable vehicle.

Bronco II, are you nuts?

Tipping over? Blazer? yeah, ok, GM doesn't rust either, hahahaha, ever see a Chevy Astro with paint peeling everywhere?? No Primer!

And for the OP:

Take your Kia back to the dealer, inform Kia head office that you're pissed off. They should treat the source of the rust, not fix up the damage. Kia doesn't want a bad reputation, they'll help you out, some dealers are idiots though.

I think Kia 401/Dixie might be alright.

Reply to
Davis Redding

Reply to
Dave Kind

in a solid

I apologize for the confusion. I had heard that in places where snow falls (something I last saw in 1989) they put salt on roads for some reason and that causes rust. This is a major issue for people like me who are interested in 1960s-era cars.

And to answer your question, yes it does rain here three or four times a year.

Reply to
SpielMitMir

Snow=rain in a solid

While salt is an accelerant, rust is neither the result of salt use, nor does it need to be present for rust to form. Interestingly enough, O2 is the one required ingredient that hasn't been mentioned. ;)

Reply to
Robert Henry

I read somewhere on the net that that there was a problem with rust occurring in that place on 2002 and early 2003 models and the was a fix or a Kia support/service bulletin. Do some checking around on the net. Try typing 2002 Sedona & 2003 Sedona in Google to see what comes up. Good Luck. Steve

Reply to
SDP

I'm from Sask Canada, also have a 2003 Sedona. I find the best thing to use once it snows is a canoe, to hard to drive the sedona up close to my Igloo. Since I have to cut holes in the ice for food for my family (we hope for some fish but if not we eat the ice). I find its just easier to use our family canoe then try and drive our van. I find that a major rust accelerant out here is when the polar bear and seals are in heat and end up spraying all over our vehicles. We love to go out as a family for a ride in the canoe and listen to Gordon Lightfoot. The Sedona would probably last us

15 years if it wasn't for the rust as there are only about 4 weeks every year we are able to drive it (due to the weather you know). Of course when we aren't chopping holes in the ice or riding around in our canoe we are at hockey games, the Sedona is great for use as a Zamboni in between periods. Hopefully this enlightens you as to what life is like up here in Canada eh. Well I'm off to drink some more beer, and watch curling (it takes place right out back of my place, very large sheet of open ice out there, hopefully the RCMP don't confiscate my beer this time) Greg the Kianadian eh.
Reply to
Greg DeLong

WE HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM! Our back door rusted around the license plate of our 2002 Sedona and no it's not snow or salt or anything like that. There is definitely some thing major going on that we all need to get to the bottom of. They tried to offer us a paint job but we felt like that was just a huge slap in the face to have to get a new car painted. Now the paint is chipping off and falling off where the ryst is bubbling from under the paint. KIA needs to do a recall and give people their money back. This started for us more than a year ago.

Reply to
rustedKIAowner