Should I buy a 2001 Optima V6

Has anyone here had this car for 4 years or bought one used? Is it reliable as it gets on in years? Here's the url:

because of mileage and found via internet.I test drove it and liked it. Needs new tires and maybe new brakes. Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
Machine Messiah

I have the 2001 SE V6 model (not sure if there's another V6 model, LX?).

Bought it with 39K miles in 8/03. Had the dealer, which is a KIA dealer among other makes, take care of some brake issues and replace the rear tires. The brake discs were shot and needed replacing. I now have 75K miles on it and its running great. The only problems I've encountered were:

  1. Tranny solenoid went out at 61K miles. This caused the car to not shift properly and would stay in 2nd or 3rd gear. 0 or so for the dealer to fix. I hear its about a 0 part. Was just over 1K miles on the warranty.
  2. Plug wire went out, arced right through in the boot part. Not really unexpected or anything due to it having about 72K miles at the time.
  3. Gas gauge reads 1/4 tank lower than actual. Full tank- reads 3/4ths, E-
1/4 tank left. I didn't pick up on this until later for some reason but don't really care enough to fix it.
  1. Stock radio LCD is jacked. Can't read the numbers since nothing displays correctly.

THe last three things are all very minor but I'm throwing them in for good measure.

You'll want to know for sure if the timing belt has ever been changed on that car. I think the recommended replacement interval is 60 or 75K miles. I'm overdue for mine.

I don't know if the 2.5L V6 is interference or not, if not then the belt blows and you don't move. If it is then you could end up with severe engine damage.

BTW, I think in 2002 Hyundai and KIA both went to 2.7 L V6 engines.

Reply to
NetBeui

In article , 09q8q@!

0q0.netttt says... matters very much, and few things matter at all. -- snip

Many thanks for the reply. I went ahead and bought the car, it's the LX. I've been wondering about the timing belt too. I'm currently having brake problems as well. The brake pedal vibrates sometimes when pressed. Local BP Procare cannot find suitable rotors from their normal suppliers. They want to call a Kia dealrship on Monday. I hope this parts issues isn't going to be a continuing problem.

Reply to
Machine Messiah

have you got ABS? That will cause pedal vibration under certain circumstances.

Reply to
nothermark

snip

No ABS. The problem was the brake rotors which has since been fixed. Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Machine Messiah