Sorento wheel care

I live in notheast Ohio and deal with road grime,lots of brake dust,and salt residue from the snow.Automatic carwashes don't fully clean these wheels and the highpower pressure wash (do-it-yourself) bays can and will damage these wheels.I tried Eagle One A to Z wheel cleaner which claims to be safe for all wheels.But,this product contains 2 types of acid based ingredients which is a no-no for aluminum wheels with a clearcoat.Why this reputable company would claim that this product is safe for all wheels is beyond me.The calipers,discs,etc. are exposed like most vehicles with 4wheel disc brakes and they too are exposed to the same road grime and would probably rust quickly if not cleaned regularly.When this product was sprayed on the wheels it stained the calipers and now they look whitesh.The back wheel inner hubs? (looks like it covers the rear brakes) are spotted and I even saw a small rust spot.I could not believe what I was seeing so I then took the Sorento to the do-it-yourself power wash to try to rinse the wheels off again .I was very careful to not hit the center caps so the pressure wouldn't damage them .After drying the wheels off I then saw tiny chips around the Kia center caps on all 4 wheels.Don't know if the A to Z wheel cleaner ate away at the chrome edges around the center caps and the high power water finished it off or if it was just the water that did it?4000 MI. AND 6 MONTHS OLD! Except for this I love the Sorento.What cleans these wheels in winter? HEEELLLPPP!!!!!!!!!! 2005 Silver Sorento LX

4x4 with sport pkg. and 5spd. Was perfect before this shit!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
JayDEE65
2 things 1st these wheels are covered under warranty go to your dealer when the pitting gets real noticable 2nd come on over to
it is a great forum for thing's like TSB's, warrantys, and mods...
Reply to
ZÿRiX

Reply to
Robert Black

I had the same problem with those aloy wheels. I managed to get my wheels switched for new type wheels which have a smooth coating. Nothing sticks to my wheels anymore even if I do not wash the car within 4 weeks. The company that took my old wheels is using these wheels to rent them (to people that go on holiday to Switzerland) with winter tyres.

Cheers Pjotr

ZÿRiX wrote:

Reply to
Pjotr

Dedicated steel wheels with mounted snow tires are the way to go. I've been doing that for about 5 years now, first with my minivan and now with my Sorento.

I leave the spare as is but that might come back to haunt me.

Reply to
Tim Lapin

You ever think about getting off you'r lazy ass and going out to you'r Sorento with a bucket of hot soapy water and a hand brush and doing it the old fashioned way. Scrubbing them nasty salt covered wheels by hand.? Hey give it a try everything can't be done the easy way. ====================

Reply to
WhiteRose