Sportage 2001 MAF

Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) Our sportage is occasionally showing the check engine light, which goes off, within a day or two again on its own. Vehicle also has an erratic idle speed, at times only slowing to 1500 RPM at a stop light. Idle problem does not seem to be related to check engine light coming on. Dealer says its the MAF sensor at about $300. Anyone had a similar problem or suggestions. - - - Thanks

Reply to
dwyne

snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

The sensor most likely is the cause of your idle speed problem. It is part of the ciruitry that controls the mixture and throttle.

Before spending that much to replace it, you could try cleaning the sensor. It should be mounted in the tube from the air filter to the throttle body.

Some owners in a different car make group that I used to read would clean their's at least monthly.

Reply to
Jeff

I agree with Jeff. A cleaning of the sensor would be the first thing to try. A can of electrical contact cleaner is much cheaper than a new MAF. Don't use other types of cleaners or for sure you will be on the hook for a new MAF. Usually the MAF consists of a wire that is heated. The airflow passing it will affect it and the vehicle can measure the change in the wire. If there is dirt build-up on the wire then it will heat/cool improperly so the vehicle can't get a proper reading and hence give you the problems you are experiencing.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf