Sportage spare key

I recently purchased a used 2007 Sportage. It only came with one key. The locksmith said that I would have to get another key made at the dealership due to the fact that it has an anti-theft chip in it. How much can I expect to have to pay for another key?

Dave

Reply to
David N

Look on e-bay!

Reply to
GEE,s

I got my wife a 2006 Sportage 1 1/2 years ago. I looked into getting a spare key or two a few months back while I had the vehicle in at the dealership for one of its checkups. The service counter person quoted me $28 (Canadian) but I suppose that wouldn't include the need to have the dealer program it. I've been watching eBay but I haven't seen any yet. It would apear that the 2006 and up use a key that is physically thicker so maybe the supply of keys hasn't hit the market yet.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf

Reply to
DELETETHIS

Would this apply to an 05 sedona as well or only the newer ones?

Reply to
89GMC

a quick call to any local locksmith should answer any questions about keys including price

89GMC wrote:
Reply to
DELETETHIS

Are you referring to my comment about the thickness of the key? If so, I'm not sure. When I stopped in at various key cutting places they took my original key and it would not fit into the slot for Kia keys since my key was too thick. They told me that the slot took 2005 and lower keys ok. So I can't say for sure. A call to a locksmith would tell you for sure.

Cheers, Lawrence

Reply to
lmcclaf