Sportage Timing Belt

About when is a 98 KIA Sportage due for a timing belt? I heard 50,000 miles. Thanks.

Reply to
Scribner

A lot of Kia vehicles specify every 60,000 miles but I'm not sure about the '98 Sportage.

Did you check your owners manual?

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Hi. I didn't see anything about it. Thanks.

Reply to
Scribner

The specs for changing the timing belt should be in the Warranty Maintenance Schedule at the back of your owners manual. I have a 2000 Kia Sportage and it says to have the timing belt checked every 60,000 miles but to change it before 100,000 miles. Mine quietly snapped at 160,000 miles while sitting at a stop light last Monday. We were lucky that we didn't bend any valve stems in the process. The local Twin Cities dealerships want close to $900 to change the belt, bearings and water pump. $430 just to change the belt. Most of that is labor(at $108hr!).

After helping my husband remove half the engine parts to get at the timing belt housing, I'd say replace everything once you're in there! At least Kia put big, easy to read timing marks on the cam gears.

By the way, if you are replacing a water pump on a 2000 Kia Sportage manufactured early in the year, check to make sure that it didn't get a leftover 1999 engine in production. The water pump changed dramatically from 1999 to 2000. We found that one out the hard way.

Reply to
amazonmama

Thanks. In LA the charge is $800.00.

Reply to
Scribner

=== Myself at 100K is the limit. But as I drive so few miles on all three autos and trucks I don't feel it would ever become a problem.

Reply to
Dave Kind

I have a '96 Plymouth Voyager with over 192K miles on it. AFAIK, it's never had the timing belt replaced. Since there are so many miles on it now and the rear main oil seal leaks, I'm just going to drive it until it's dead rather than invest in major service.

My Sedona has just over 102K on it. I'm going to have the belt replaced at 120K but not again even if it's still around at 180K.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

The Voyager has a timing chain, not a belt. The only curious belt they had was an unbelievably ill-advised belt that ran the oil pump in one of the

4-cylinder engines used in some of the very early Voyagers (mid-80's). Getting to it required an overhaul, and at some point, every one of them would and did break.

As for your Sedona, 102K is the longest I've ever heard anyone going with a Sedona. But it's like I said - at some point, my paranoia would take over with an interference engine. But that does tell me that, once mine is out of warranty, I may try 90 to 105K.

Who knows - maybe I'm just paranoid, period, and broken timing belts on interference engines have nothing to do with it.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Some Voyagers may use a timing chain but the '96 2.4 definitely uses a belt.

I didn't acquire my Sedona until it already had 92K on it. I'm assuming that the timing belt was changed at 60K. But, in the absence of service records, I hope that assumption doesn't turn out to be fatal.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you. {;o)

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

I replaced the belt in my 01,and 00 at 60k. I found a fellow on ebay named bruce, he has a ebay store called "Parts Dynasoar" got me the belts, rollers, and tension spring plus water pumps, gaskets, etc. in 2 days under $100. plus he sent instructions and was VERY helpful.

Reply to
helix

========== What condition was the belt you replaced in?

Reply to
Dave Kind

How you liking that vehicle?

Friend of mine has one for sale. Is 2002 with 150k on it for $4800

Good deal or not?

Reply to
me

Reply to