Timing belt

After reading all the stories on here I had the belt my 03 Rio with 71k miles replaced this afternoon . Walkout price with tax for the belt only , no waterpumps or other belts was $400 , hated parting with the money but it was a lot cheaper than having the valves etc. replaced.

Reply to
Phil

Phil, I think that was a wise decision. I am glad to hear that you took care of it now before it was too late.

I heard back from the service center about mine and it is BAD. Not just bad, horrible in fact. At least two pistons are shot, it damaged the head, rings, etc. etc.

But slightly on the upside, they found me an engine with only 20K miles on it. They are offering me a warranty that will cover me until after it is paid off in 16 months and they are going to combine all the work done so far and the new engine for a total of $2800. I know it probably sounds ridiculous for me to pay it instead of trading it in, but I am getting it fixed.

I spent hours at the dealership today trying to incorporate the $4000 pay off on this one into a new car and being that far upside down, the offers they made just didn?t suit me.

I was willing to give a down payment of 2K. There was 500 in cash back and they said they could give me 1K in trade on the Kia and pay it off. This all sounded pretty good, but as I was running the numbers with my calculator, I was coming up with a figure of approx. $300 a month for 60 months (including taxes, title, tags and fees.) They said I was figuring wrong and claimed it would be $300 a month for 72 months. I knew right away that they were fornicating with the numbers somehow to reach this, so I told them I was taking my 2K and getting my Kia fixed. They said I was making a big mistake and even called me hard headed and stubborn (they may be right I suppose) but I walked out..

So, in a few days I will have my little Rio back with a fairly new engine in it. Maybe by the time the timing belt needs to be changed on this one, I will be ready to trade it in, but for now, I still love my little Rio and I am not ready to give up on it just yet.

Andre

"Phil" wrote

Reply to
andreame70

Sorry you had too go through all that , I think you have done the right thing . I do service calls out of mine ( on copiers, printers etc.)A lot of stop and go , opening and closing doors and windows ,I'm a bit rough with it but it gets me to work everyday.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

I recently got an 01 Rio that the engine was locked up on. When I took it apart I found bad thing after bad thing. 1st was the spark plugs were destroyed. 2nd I found the timing belt was oose and the timing marks didnt look like they lined up but I couldnt really tell since the motor wouldnt turn more than half a revolution. Well it did jump time and took off EVERY exhaust valve head. Yes it ruined the motor beyond repairs.

The replacement motor with 50K on it also has trouble- 1st thing I found was a VERY LOOSE timing belt. Tightening it to proper tension also took out ALL the adjustment in the pulley.

My suggestion is to check the timing belt tension with EVERY service interval and adjust as necessary.

I have not seen this problem on any other cars.

Another silly thing was that you HAVE to use sealant on the flywheel bolts! When I took them out oil seeped out of the crank.

They sure have some strange engineering!

Good luck on your own cars!

-SP

Reply to
Speedy Pete