timing belt change

Just got an advertisement from Kia for timing belt change. $299 plus the usual rip-off shop supplies and Hazmat charge??? For the double overhead 6 cyl engine add $140. So for the Sedona, $440 isn't too bad. I'm about to start to replace the timing belt and water pump on my Jetta for the second time. All belts, idler pulley, and complete water pump were $90. It's about a 3 hour job at most. That V6 in the Sedona is really packed in there so I don't know how much harder it would be to change. I have 10,000 miles to go to get to 60K miles on the Sedona soooooo....

Reply to
631grant

Agree completely - that would be a REALLY good price for the Sedona. But be careful, because at the same time, you are supposed to have the spark plugs changed. Make sure they don't try to make up with that what they aren't making with the timing belt.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Good point! Also, they don't mention the idler pulley, which I assume it has. Caveat emptor.

Reply to
631grant

Well, it just got tougher. Not only did the Hyundai dealer I use shut down, so did the Kia dealer. Both were in Athens, Ga, about 30 miles away. How about a bailout, Mr. Obama???

Reply to
631grant

Somehow, when I saw that price, I knew they must be trying to raise cash fast.

My guess is that this dealership was just mis-managed. I haven't heard of ANY other Hyundai or Kia dealerships shutting down. In fact, there is supposedly a plan going into place to start aggressively adding dealerships into medium and smaller size communities to take up the slack of domestic closings and uncertainties.

But I will say this much - be grateful you have a Hyundai/Kia - they will be around for a long time.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Amen to the Kia and Hyundai quality. It IS unusual to have BOTH dealerships in Athens, Ga shut down, albeit their service really sucked and clearly was out to screw their customers as soon as they walked into the service department. At the time I said that it served them right but now I'm almost

100 miles from a dealership. Looks like my next car might be a Ford with my dealer a few block away. Can't wait for the Fiesta.

Reply to
631grant

Reply to
hondack