Tire pressure

I've had my Spec5 for a week now and still like it. Actually, I'm kinda lovin it, smooth, quite, and comfortable. Just wondering about tire pressure. The sticker on the door lists front and rear at 30psi. I checked the pressure today and they are 35psi front and rear. Maybe the dealer pumps em up a bit for mileage, which is fine, I'm satisfied with the ride, so except for possible tire wear I can't see any reason to bring em down to

30psi. Whatcha think? The mileage this last week was a bit dissapointing at 27mpg. But not sure if they filled it up completely, so will get a better idea after I've filled it up a couple times. The engine should loosen up after a few thousand miles which will help some.
Reply to
Paul O.

I've noticed that both Kia and Hyundai are quite fond of that 30 p.s.i. rating.

While I can't comment on your particular car, I do own a Hyundai Elantra that calls for the same pressure. When I got a new set of tires, the installer put in the recommended 30. The tires felt wonderfully soft and quiet over a 600 mile trip I took just after I put them on. They were a HUGE improvement over the previous tires.

But just to see how they would perform, on my return 600 mile trip, I put them up to 34 (virtually identical to your 35). There was no comparison. While the ride was firmer than at 30, it was still better than the previous tires. And overall, these tires performed MUCH better at 34 - much better handling, braking and fuel economy.

Now how much of that is just these particular tires (Sumitomo HTR H4) is anybody's guess. But I will say that the 34 to 35 certainly won't hurt anything. And I have a hunch that you will come to the same conclusions on your car that I did on mine.

Enjoy your car, no matter which psi you choose.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Thanks Rev. Tom. The tires are Goodyear Eagles if that matters. Guess I'll leave em as is.

Reply to
Paul O.

Two things:

A) You'll have to do better than just calling them "Goodyear Eagles" - there are about a thousand different kinds;

B) Regardless of which one it is, I think almost all of the Eagles will perform better at 35 than 30.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Reply to