too much gas = intermittent loss of engine power?

I have a '98 Sephia (manual, 58K). After having the ORVR recall fixed a few years ago, I've noticed that when I fill up the gas tank (letting the gas pump stop itself), the engine will studder and at some points, stall. This problem stops after the 10 miles of driving.

The dealer couldn't find a problem, either with the car or with the ORVR fix. So I just eyeball the gas pump and stop pumping at around

12 gallons, which avoids the problem.

My question is, what is it about that extra bit of gas that would cause the engine to studder and stall (usually in 2nd or 3rd gear)?

Reply to
Mitchell Yuen

Check your fuel vapor recover system. I would expect that if you fill up run ~ 5 miles then open the gas cap you will find a vacuum that is starving the car for fuel at the 10 mile point.

I'm sending a direct response as well as posting to the news group. If you have questions on this email me direct.

Regards

| I have a '98 Sephia (manual, 58K). After having the ORVR recall fixed | a few years ago, I've noticed that when I fill up the gas tank | (letting the gas pump stop itself), the engine will studder and at | some points, stall. This problem stops after the 10 miles of driving. | | The dealer couldn't find a problem, either with the car or with the | ORVR fix. So I just eyeball the gas pump and stop pumping at around | 12 gallons, which avoids the problem. | | My question is, what is it about that extra bit of gas that would | cause the engine to studder and stall (usually in 2nd or 3rd gear)?

Reply to
Not Me

Thanks! For now it's a small nuisance to stop a gas pump from filling the tank.

Reply to
Mitchell Yuen

their is a set of hoses that go to the tank from a emmision part call the canister its for the smog bs u might want to look at the its under the hood left hand side firewall shaped like plastic coffee can

Reply to
BobBob