transmission fluid?

Ok, in my owners manual it says only to use diamond SPIII transmission fluid. I called my kia dealer to inquire about buying some the guy put me on hold... comes back on and says the techs say to use chrysler atf+4.... and btw this is a kia/dodge dealership. Now this makes me nervous b/c they topped off my tranny before. So I'm sure that's what they put in.

I called the 1-800 kia number and they said they'll get back to me(still haven't heard). So does anyone else know if this is ok to put in the tranny? I've read some of the posts on this, but curious if anyone has "official" word from a dealership on that.

The reason I need it is that my tranny has had problems since about

3K(at 8k right now). When going up a hill once it downshifts it will not upshift. Even after you are back on flat ground or even going down the other side of the hill it will stay up around 3-4K on the tach and just will not shift until you take your foot off the gas, really annoying. I've checked the level of the tranny fluid like a bazillion times so at this point I figure I may as well just drain and refill it, worth a shot. When I had it in last time they said fluid was low even though i had just checked it and they topped it off. Really didn't seem to fix the problem, just another crappy dealer fix.

Anyone else have a similar shifting prob either?

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
89GMC

Isn't it still under warranty?

-Cheers

Reply to
mark

I have had two Kias that take the same fluid, the Diamond SP-III.

The Chrysler ATF+4 is a relatively new fluid, and it is 100% compatible with SP-III. If there is a problem, it is that the fluid is almost too new yet, meaning you may have a bit of a time finding it, at least for a few more months. But if you can find it, THAT is what you want to use.

Kia techs have admitted that the distribution of Diamond ATF SP-III was not as widespread as they had anticipated or hoped, but that the new ATF+4 will finally solve the problem, especially as it becomes more widely available, supplanting the ATF+3 that is currently on most shelves.

Speaking of ATF+3, I talked to both a Chrysler and Kia regional tech person, and both felt like even the older, more conventional ATF+3 should work okay, though it is certainly not preferable to the ATF+4. I did use that in my Sedona minivans, and it has worked out fine.

What you should not EVER use in these transmissions is Dexron. A lot of shops that do the transmission flushes have used Dexron, and the Hyundai and Kia transmissions have given trouble when this is used.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Tom,

That was def> I have had two Kias that take the same fluid, the Diamond SP-III. >

Reply to
89GMC