Turbo Sephia?

Has anyone here added (or know someone that has) a turbo or supercharger kit to a Sephia. A good friend of mine has a 2001 and she's looking at all the options to add power (to keep up with me! :) I don't know a thing about Kias and want to help her out. Does anyone have any information on this option?

Thanks!

Orion

There are no turbo or supercharger kits available for any KIAs.

It can be done, but it would have to be completely custom. She would be looking at spending nearly as much money to add a turbo or supercharger as it would cost to buy another car.

Good Luck!

Reply to
schucha

That's the dumbest thing I've heard all week. That KIA would come apart like a coffee cake. A sephia is not a sport car- as my grandfather would say, "you can't go to the moon in a Chrysler".

Oh is SHE? How noble of you to offer and help. Funny, I work with a moron who convinced his girlfriend that her car wasn't sporty enough.... he brainwashed her into a GTI and she drove it into a tree the following month.

Perhaps it would make more sense for you to slow down.

Reply to
T. D.

You can't ? You need to ask my friends who own - let's see one has a '70 or '71 dart, another has a '69 Sport Satellite, and I've seen a few RoadRunners at the local car shows.

Those should get you to the moon.

I can't wait to test drive the new 300N when it comes out. Oooh, a RWD sedan with a hemi in front. Niiice....

Sice peeps who soup up Civics and Accords are called ricers, what is someone who soups up a Kia - a kimchi-er?

There is a site called Street Kiaz or somthing like that, which deals with turing Kia cars into Rice (or KimChi) burners.

Reply to
Kai Ponte

I know I, for one, am impressed that he can outrun a Kia

Reply to
Cass

I'm tall...long legs...and it's a Kia after all. As for the other items, she (oh, I'm sorry T.D.--SHE) came to me to ask (I didn't persuade her, as if that mattered) and I have never looked into anything for Kias, so I checked here expecting some semblance of intelligent or polite answers. Silly me. I checked on other boards that were manufacturer-specific (not Kias, obviously) and they (after assuring me it wasn't worth it for such a car) gave me actual answers, if she still wished to pursue it. Different communities, I suppose. Now if I had the power to brainwash girlfriends into getting fast cars and driving them into trees, I wouldn't be wasting my time talking to you folks! That's good fun.

In the end I found a few people who have already done it on the same model of car so they're giving her the final details.

I appreciate your time, or at least the smile your answers put on my face.

Now, I offer legitimate thanks to "Kia Ponte" and "schucha". Your input and encouragement is appreciated. I actually found one of the guys that did add the turbo at that Street Kiaz site (gotta love the "z"). As for kim-chiers or ricers, she's not making many changes in the looks category for the car (it's so pretty to start with! ;) only in performance, if she decides it is worth it. I thought ricers made the car LOOK fast but usually didn't have much to back it up... :) Incidently, I never added a turbo to a NA engine in my car, it came with turbo stock, and I don't have body kits or coffee-can exhaust. I try to avoid the rice, unless it's pork-fried.

Thank you.

Reply to
Orion

Good answering! grtz,paul

Ori>> A good friend of mine has a 2001 and she's looking at all the

Reply to
Believe it or not

I get to use another one of my Grandfather's sayings! "If you plant corn, expect corn." ( Don't pose a silly question and hope for other than a silly response.)

I based my answer (and of course it is simply my opinion, which is what message boards are all about)on the fact that I did spend a few days in a loaner Sephia. I assume that the engine- but know the stock setup- would not be up to handling the challenge of turbofied speed. I would guess that as the Kiaz people increase the horsepower, they also beef up the brakes and suspension.

Still, the easiest way for HER (meow!) to keep up would be for you to slow down, or better yet, you can carpool!

Reply to
T. D.

Hi,

First of all i have to say that there is nothing impossible when it is about cars. Installing a custom turbocharger brings some problems within. The first thing to decide is the boost pressure. You may need to trim the pistons or the head depending on the boost in order to decrease the compression ratio. The most important thing in a custom turbocharged car is to prevent knocking which happens when the fuel/air ratio is so low that the fuel mixture explodes before the ignition, that kills the engine within a second. You may need a fifth injector to supply the extra fuel, fuel pressure regulator and selenoid. You will also have to find the room for the turbocharger and the intercooler ;and also find a way to fool the electronics. After all struggle, why kia? why sephia? I can understand turbocharging a bmw or even a fiat 131 but turbocharging a front wheel drive car like a kia sephia is totally illogical i beleive. You will spend lots of money and you will still have a kia sephia :) go buy a subaru impreza...voila...

Best regards.

Reply to
Selcuk FIRINCIOGLU

You know to say that a Kia engine could not handle a turbo is similar to saying that any foreign sports car couldn't handle a turbo. the smalles Kia motor is a 1.6L Volkswagon uses 1.9's. Subaru uses a 2.5, Mitsubishi used a 2.3 and a 2.5, Saturn is releasing a supercharged 2.2? for the Ion. And to inform you, yes there is a turbo you can use. Garret makes turbos for any application. It wouldn't cost as much as an entire new car. You would hav to remove the AC condenser and move the radiator up a couple inches and it give you the clearance for the turbo. A few minor additions and adjustments. The worst thing is you would probably have to adjust the compression ratio, seeing as the Rio (and assume most kia's would be similar) has a rather high compression ratio. I can't give specifics of the Sephia, but I know its not any smaller then the Rio, so it would also be able to handle it.

And as far as the comment about the girl driving her GTi into a tree. Perhaps people should learn to drive, and be able to handle the machines they are in control of before they do somthing as stupid and turning the key. Anyone who hasn't learned how to handle a car, especially at high speeds or in tough handling conditions shouldn't be driving in thos situations, and if they do and get hurt or die, that is their own fault. I drive fast (before I have to deal with a smart ass who will make a wise crack about a Rio, i drive faster then most people on the road. I'm not dale earnhardt here but 95-110 is pretty quick for civilian driving), I can handle my cars in almost any situation (snow like Upper Michigan lake effect snow, rain, even the occasional ice storm that blankets the city in a sheet of ice.). I know what my limits are and I don't cross them. I know what my car is capable of and I don't exceed that. Speed doesn't kill, lack of ability does.

Reply to
Sijuki

Better yet, get the Impreza WRX STi. Now that thing is sweet. 300hp and

300ft/lbs. All out of that 3L I've known a couple people that had those. They are nice cars. That is what I wanted, but, being broke I had to get my Rio. Which is nice, it's fuel efficient. I always look into the possibilites of building up a car. Although I never have the time or money to do it, so it's just kind of a hobby to look it up. The reason I would to it, is for the originality and uniqueness. Also, if you don't like the impreza you can get an Evo 8.

Reply to
Sijuki

And

People that drive 95-110 on public roads kill.

Reply to
T. D.

And... btw..

AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM!

:0)

Reply to
T. D.

I've never killed anyone. Although I have had plenty of morons on cell phones try to broadside me. But they must be safe drivers for driving the speed limit. Cause as long as they do that it doesn't matter that they don't pay attention to what is going on around them. Yeah.. that's it

Reply to
Sijuki

Oh wow.. someone died driving a car?!?! uhoh. He slipped up. He did something he shouldn't have. He died doing something he loved. So what's so bad about it?!? Would it have been better if he died of some terminal disease, would that of been safer? Should a cop not be a cop because he might get killed? Perhaps they enjoy doing what they do, and take the risk involved.

Reply to
Sijuki

First off everyone, driving at any excessive speed is dangerous regardless whos driving and their experiance.

Second, there are a few turbo'ed kia's, mostly are Gen 2 sephias, and i have a superchargered sephia. If you want to upgrade a 1.8L or larger kia engine, you better have it bored and race sleeved, and really upgrade the bottem end. I suggest scat racing crank (

and some of there other items. also suggested for space restictions is a dry sump oil system, and a Spal radiator and dual fan, slim line. The current record for kia's, the '98 sephia owned by hyperian torello makes on a dyno 811 LBs/tq and 750 hp. Hes a regular at englishtown raceway if you want to meet him.

Reply to
djtorello