Update on 2003 Sedona Van

Well, after two trips to the midwest from the east coast (1800 miles each trip), we've racked up over 12,000 miles in just over 6 months with the car. A bit much, but we don't plan on doing any more serious traveling for another year or so.

There has not been an ounce of trouble from this car. We purchased the EX with all the options except for a tow hitch, and now we're regretting getting that because someone gave us a bike rack and it would've come in handy with it. However, we'll be purchasing an aftermarket hitch and installing it next spring.

On the highway, the car averaged about 20MPG, and that was doing 70 through most of the turnpike. The car literally floats on the highway. We removed both the side passenger seats and still had plenty of room to lay out and stretch our legs if we had to. This also left plenty of room for luggage. Unusual setup, but it works.

I still can't believe I walked out of the showroom with this car, knowing that I paid about 2k less than I did 10 years ago for a new minivan back then with less options.

Anyone else having great luck with this car?

Reply to
Anonymous

Always nice to hear. So far so good with us. We've got the rear passenger seat removed.

We'll be taking it on our second major trip - to Sedona, AZ (don't laugh) right after Christmas. This time I wont' have a trailer, so I'm sure I'll see how it does on I-40 going over 100mph.

Kai Ponte

Ours has been a winner, too. We got our LX the last day of May and are up to 8500 miles now. Only problem has been a check engine light when my wife didn't tighten the gas cap.

Dan

Reply to
phinegan

Yes. The description of your experience IS very similar to ours.

Reply to
Robert Henry

We've put on 11,500 in months on our 2003 Sedona EX. We love the van, but gas mileage is much worse than you reported. We've gotten 14 - 19 mpg. Never 20.

We did have a gas leak problem from a pressure relief valve when we visited Denver on 95+ degree day this summer. The van is used to traveling at 30 -

300 feet above sea level. Denver area dealer took care of everything, no questions asked. Our gas mileage is still only 15 mpg town/18-19 mpg highway. ______________________________________________

- Life insurance, home mortgages, debt elimination, and financial planning. ______________________________________________

----- Original Message ----- From: " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" Newsgroups: alt.autos.kia Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2003 8:42 PM Subject: Update on 2003 Sedona Van

[...]

parklover

Only had our EX for about 1 1/2 months but no problems so far. Put

3,300 miles on in that time. Gas milage is 16-18 in town, and 18-20 on the highway.

Brian

Reply to
BB

We had our van for 2 weeks and the transmission needed replacing. It has taken 3 months of messing around, trips to dealer, calls to Kia Canada to finnally have it fixed. I like the van but I do not know what it is like to have one that works properly as we have had nothing but trouble with it since we got it. :(

Reply to
Greg DeLong

We bought our Sedona EX in February, 2002 and after 19,000 miles I am very pleased with it. I've had some minor problems, but the car runs well and is fun to drive. The mileage is not the best, but a Honda would have been another $12,000 or more.

Reply to
Bill O'Neill

We have had our 2002 EX Sedona since April 2002. We have 41,000 miles on via my "stay-at-home-wife". We haven't had any major problems with it, other that an annoying knocking noise from the Drivers from wheel/suspension area. They will admit that they hear it only when I'm riding with them and point it out. But they say that it is just a characteristic of the van. The van that we test drove did not make the noise. They located this van about two weeks later. Noticed the noise on our way home from the dealership. Any Ideas?

Kurt

Reply to
Clayton Tire

wheel/suspension

Is this the thumping/wobbling noise that sounds like the struts are loose? I observe it most on any surface except the smoothest pavement. 30-40mph can be obnoxious on the hearing depending on the unevenness and joints/cracks in the pavement.

I read that someone out in the Midwest had the strut noise and that there was a design defect in the strike plate assembly. He also had a mechanic willing to go bushing by bushing by bolt to find the source of the noise and the fix, but something happened and that never came to pass. Hearsay, but fwiw.

The other cabin noise issue I have stems from the a/c. While idling at stops, there is an extremely low pitch groaning noise (loud enough to overpower the radio at setting 10). The dealer replaced the compressor according to the cooling fan TSB, but it didn't fix the condition. I asked to make an empirical comparison by sitting in another Sedona and the noise is there also, but it was a new 2003 and not nearly as loud...yet. It is not the supplemental radiator cooling fan, as I was able to hear the noise in the 2003 even when that was not running.

I suspect it is a harmonic noise from the gas passing through the evaporator or the heat exchanger. The noise is louder at higher OATs and seems to go away when the engine is under load.

In my experience, these are not the types of problems dealers resolve. I think I need to put this in a letter to Kia. If they get enough complaints on the same issue, they might investigate and issue a TSB/fix.

Other than that, our 2002 just turned 14K miles yesterday. Even with these two nits, we definitely enjoy its ride, utility and comfort.

Reply to
Robert Henry

There's a cooling fan TSB? I notice often when my wife drives away and I happen to be standing in front of our Sedona and she's got the AC on (which is almost always) there is a loud noise coming from around the front passenger engine compartment. I can't really tell the noise inside, but it seems to go away once she puts the car in D from R. I don't notice the noise when the AC isn't on.

Kai

It should probably be called a loud compressor TSB. You can find it on the alldata.com web site. The vehicle lists are free, but you have to pay for the details.

Reply to
Robert Henry

Mileage much worse?????

it is rated at 15 and 20 and you get 14 and 19, how can that be "much" worse! Wake up, you are getting what you bought into.

Mine gets about 22 on the expressway doing about 75 to 80 MPH.

Reply to
MikeT