Warning Lights for Charging System & Brake

As of late, my battery has being going dead while I'm driving. In an effort to track down the problem (battery or charging system), I starting paying closer attention to the Charging System warning light in the instrument cluster only to realize that it does not work. With the key on but before starting, neither it nor the Brake warning light illuminate.

The Oil Pressure warning light works fine. I swapped bulbs around and found no problem with them. I checked fuses but am unsure which one applies.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to fix this (or what fuse I specifically need to examine)?

-- Christian

2002 Kia Sedona EX 3.5L
Reply to
CMM

Typically a problem like this is indicative of a failed alternator. With the engine running what does a voltmeter read at the battery terminals? Anything less than 12.6 volts would mean your charging system is not working.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Hey Chris,

I think you're right. I'm going to check the voltage tonight. This would account for the battery drain but does it explain the non-functioning warning lights?

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

If you confirmed the bulb is good then what you probably have is a failed voltage regulator. They can go bad in such a way as to put a drain on the battery even with the car off.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Hello I looked up the connection to Brake & Ign lights. Both are routed through Connector block 'C' . pin 3 is Brake warning light, and pin 4 is Ignition light. Gordon

Reply to
Spanner

Is the voltage regulator integrated into the alternator or is it a separate component and can it be tested?

Should I just replace the entire alternator?

I tested across battery posts with the car running and found 11.5V so there's definitely no charge going in.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Thanks, Gordon. Any idea where the fuse for these is? I just need to take a look and either rule it out or replace it.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Hello There doesn't appear to be any individual fuses for these panel indications, these two and others are all connected to common A7+, but there is a diode D2 across term'ls C3 & C4, if this goes faulty, it could prevent both lights operating. I think! Gordon

Reply to
Spanner

I appreciate the info. If I get this fixed, I'll let you know.

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM