warranty problem

Have 2005 Rio 'program' car purchased last summer. Daughter drives to college and work. No problems. Regular oil changes and items checked at same place we've used for several years. Currently at 53,000 miles. Car overheated this week. She quickly pulled to the side of the road and cut engine until cooled. Radiator cap was missing. We do not remove the cap when checking fluid level. The only conclusion I can come to is that it is probably my dad (lives with us) who did it. He has dementia and does not understand that you do not remove the cap, but thinks he's helping. I know for a fact that I had steam escaping from my own car a couple of months ago even though the gauge didn't move. Overflow level was ok, so I took it to the shop and was told the cap was not on completely. He admitted to checking it. So it makes sense. Kia tells me that 'no radiator cap' is negligent and that the warranty will not cover our problem. $700 just to pull the engine. "Radiator caps do not just pop off".

Is this worth arguing over? My dad says that he has checked the car in the past but not lately. With his dementia, it is obviously not true. Normally the car is locked when she comes in, and he doesn't have a key, but I guess he just happened to catch her between school and her job. I am sick over this. The guy at Kia was very rude, especially when he found out I had oil changes somewhere else (with receipts).

Reply to
Anna

=== Sadly but I think the ball is in your court on this thing. The Kia guy should get canned for being rude but thats not going to help. Sorry think about keeping Dad away from your Autos.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

Could the insurance company cover something like this ? Car or homeowners , worth a try .

Reply to
PhilO

I thought about the insurance. We do have break-ins around us, but our autos are always locked up at night. Even during the day most of the time. That is why I figure my dad must've gotten her key off the table.

I can tell him not to do this, but he will not remember. It is up to her to not leave her keys laying around.

Reply to
Anna

No the fact that it wasn't intentional , almost like an accident , your dad was not being malicious , insurance may cover it , may is the keyword though.

Reply to
PhilO

A missing radiator cap should NOT cause a car to overheat. It will have elevated temp, or slowly go up when coolant is lost.

When the sensor isnt in coolant, it wont read correctly, so if it was gone the gauge wouldnt read hot.

If your dealer is just plain rude. Talk to corporate headquarters. They dont like it when dealers are mean to the customers they want to retain.

-SP

Anna wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete

an update on my problem. My auto insurance will not cover it. It is an extra coverage. Home insurance will only cover contents stolen.

Good news is that the service guy has really turned into a pretty nice guy. There was a quote of almost $6000 to install a new engine, but after talking with me, they found a salvaged one with about 35,000 miles for $3900 installed. Well, as of Friday that fell through because there was something wrong with it, so they located one with only 13,000 miles and will not charge more for it. Should be ready this Wednesday which usually means, in repair terms, maybe by the end of this week. It's been a learning experience.

Reply to
Anna

Glad you got a break , still a chunk of change too part with though.

Reply to
PhilO

== Myself I sure would not want that used engine I would scrap the Kia and write the whole deal off as something that went really wrong. IMHO your going to waste your money and it's not going to get you a good Auto. Just my thoughts.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

Did you read the original post date on this before you replied ?

Reply to
PhilO