101 Alternative shocks

So anyone got any ideas of source vehicles for an alternative shock absorber for the 101.?

Stocks have all but dried up or are expensive

Thoughts were a bedford MK - anyone got a workshop manual with a picture of the rear shocks ?

Or anyone got any other ideas

We have thought about setting up dual shock system but would rather find a single solution if possible

Reply to
Rich Clafton

Have you tried Koni? They do shocks for classic vehicles, if you give them the dimensions etc for the 101 shocks they might be able to provide an equivalent.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Have spoken to a rep at a show actually

Any ideas about how you sort out the damping force required ?

Especially as theres 2 types for 101's - ambi and the rest

Thanks for the thought though - will chase them up again

Reply to
Rich Clafton

Rich

Mate of mine who is rebuilding a GS down to last nut and bolt has got the local commercial vehicle parts place on the case. They were successful with 3/4 sankey shocks so we are hopeful. I'll let you and the rest of the 101 world know when it's sussed.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

I didn't know the ambi had different shocks. Mind you, I never changed them on mine. The seem to make so little difference to the ride that they might as well not be there.

Besides, how many MOT testers can jump up and down on the corner of a

101 sufficiently to determine that the shocks are working? They certainly can't check them properly on my IIa, they usually give up after one corner.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Actually most ambi's seem to run on GS shocks - seems the army had the same problem so just fitted what they had My ambi is on GS shocks front & back

Its really cos mine are tired and my mates have let all the oil leak out..... so we had to do a bit of swapping for MOT time

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

Oh sounds interesting - definatly keep us informed

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

I was being a bit optomistic, they have drawn a blank unfortunately. The guy who asked them to check has also just found 2 brand new ones amongst his stockpile of bits, lucky sod.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5N/A Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

Sean

Oh well - thought it was too good

Have any of your group got a beddie MJ/MK manual, wondering if they might do the job but can't find one locally to have a look at

Cheers

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

No sorry Rich, TM only, think they may be a bit stiff for a 101! There is at least one trader at Sodbury who also does Bedford bits, usually on the hedge line along from the entrance. You could try

who are themain bedford stockists for the world, based near Maidstone. They maybe able to measure a few shocks up, something from a J type may work. Sean

73FL74 101 GS 1984 110 2.5N/A Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

On or around 17 Oct 2004 13:04:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sean Ryan) enlightened us thusly:

what about something like large-size transit or small ford cargo?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

g from a J type may work.

Have thought of those too, will have a nose when I pass one parked sometime

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Remember to take a jack and some bricks...

Reply to
Mother

It makes sense, lest you be a rivetcounter, obviously, to source suitable replacements which you can buy off the shelf. Some 101 owners will die with the original shocks on (read into that what you will), others who use theirs on a regular basis may be more concerned with the shockers doing their job properly rather than being authentic or expensive.

Reply to
Mother

Spoken like a true user of a 101 martyn - thats exactly the issue, hence going PAS and the recent mods to fit a 110 servo

The proper shocks seem to be good unlike most standard landy shocks but it would be nice to have an off the shelf replacement

Now the perfect spare would be off a merc so we can get them anywhere

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

Yeah, not sure I'd do the PAS again. Charlotte is _far_ too fond of it...

Reply to
Mother

Hah, serves you right for making it comfortable and easy to drive.

Heavy steering, funny brakes, confusing gearlevers, leaky door seals - the best way I know to prevent other people wanting to drive it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex