101 Charging system

Can anyone help please...... Matilda my Ambi just recently has started discharging her batteries. I thought that for a start it might be the Alternator as the "no charge" light came on. However after two weeks the brand new alternater stopped working or i presumed it had cos' the little yellow light was back on. I did have another one so i stuck that one on and still the "no charge light" comes on. She discharges a fully charged battery after about 60 miles of travel.( Two days of toing and froing from work) I do need to sort this out quickly as Matilda is my only means of transport and its bugging me solid. Any ideas by the way the slip rings are ok and the brushes in two of the alternaters are good as one was brand new and the other was off a series 2 that worked.

I'm at a loss, any help accepted

with thanks

Reply to
Brevit

I've heard of similar things with a dynamo when its voltage got reversed so was discharging rather than charging - (same when someone working on a positive earth car didn't realise and put the battery the wrong way round !) but not on an alternater. Could you have a heated screen or something with its relay stuck 'on' ? - heated screen on a 101 I don't think so

You have checked the fan belt and pulley I suppose !

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Yeah i think there is one in the garage somewhere....

My main headlamp beam is not working i only have dipped at the moment, when you flick the swith only the sidelights stay on... Do you think it could have something to do with it?

I'll check it tomorrow when I bring her home...

Yep I got Gell batteries, low maintence high power (Hopefully soon upgrading to Optima)

Something to try anyhow thanks i'll keep you posted

Reply to
Brevit

Heated screen??? Dont need one my cab is Sooooo warm even in the coldest winter(or Summer) time. The Heater is excellant and I wear a "Biggles" type Flying Jacket so I don't feel the cold.......oh and my tea cosy and fingerless mits(Leather.....)..........

pulley is smooth running....

Reply to
Brevit

On or around Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:23:54 -0000, "Brevit" enlightened us thusly:

might be. It's almost impossible to diagnose these things remotely.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had the exact same problem on an Astra GTE after I gave the engine a good polish (as you do in your younger days!). I displaced one of the wires out the back of the alternator so no charge was going in.. came to a juddering halt as the fuel and ignition flatened the battery.

Once I found the wire all was well... so I suspect from the story so far that there is no charge going to the batterys... I wouldn't have a clue where to start with the big diode packs on 101's though.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I have rewired the the three wires that go into the back of the alternater and all fit snugly. The other i have noticed is the smallest wire if i trace it back is almost bare in places. Would it or could it be possible that this wire is shorting the system out? I would have thought all that amperage would not escape out of such a small wire.... but i am no electrician.

Any Help there?

Reply to
Brevit

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 03:25:32 -0000, "Brevit" enlightened us thusly:

Well, yer too far away to bring it here.

but that wire shouldn't short. If it does it might stop the alternator from charging or it might not start charging. However, if that wire shorts I'd expect the no-charge light to come on.

when you say "3 wires" have you got 2 fat ones and one thin one? or are there one fat one and 2 thin ones?

some alternators have an AC output, which tends to get used for operating rev counters and the like, but I've also seen it used to heat and electric auto-choke system.

Normally a terminal marked W, IIRC.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

wrote

I have enlightened that the chargeing diode pack is by the grill i will have a look

B***ocks!!! Never mind have to try to fix it by correspondance course!!

I have Two fat ones and one thin one. The two fat ones are one obove the other and the thin wire is situated at the bottom of the alternater

I will take it off and check....

Keep you posted thanks Austin...

Reply to
Brevit

On or around Sat, 28 Feb 2004 14:03:36 -0000, "Brevit" enlightened us thusly:

is it? wot, it's a non-regulated alternator with a separate regulator? in that case, half of what anyone tells you is wrong... me included. I'd assumed a "normal" (modern values of normal) alternator with built0in regulator and recitifier.

anyone care to confirm or deny about what's on it? It's not a 24V one is it?

having said that, no idea where yer based.

more'n likely the 2 fat are output and the thin one is a "field" supply - but WRT the above, I don't know what system it is.

not seen a separate-regulator alternator on anythign for years... but i spose the military could well spec such, or did then.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nope it is a 12 volt one

I'm based 6miles from Billing (The greatest showground ha ha) Just outside Northampton

Reply to
Brevit

All the diode pack does is to split the circuit between the two onboard batteries so you can run the aux flat when engine is off but still have the main starer only battery to fire it up. Then the Aux recharges, so the text so far should be fine assuming the diode packs working ok.

I'd replace soley the thin wire identified from the alternator for now and see what happens before disturbing the diode pack.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't know if it matters but the second Aux battery is not connected. I do not use the "Aux battery" for anything at the moment as all the wiring in the rear has been disconnected. At the moment "battery lights" and a lamp keep the rear lit when I'm camping out in her and my cooker provides me with adequite warmth. However i am trying at the moment to rig up the second battery having placed it up where the old oxygen cylinders used to be. I have not tho' connected this to any part of the charging system(As of yet but it is on the to do list) Hopefully Matilda will be home tomorrow so i can start and see if i can rectify the problem then. I will try the thin wire first it is i believe a 1mm wire if anybody knows any different please let me know!!!

Reply to
Brevit