101 Exhaust manifolds.

Morph is still in bits and the heads are at the local machine shop for reworking... stud holes for manifolds and valves replaced and ground is as required with new valve guides too.

Anyway, while Morph ois stripped down I was pondering the issue of the poor quality exhaust manifolds.

If my recollection is correct it's the Left hand manifold which cracks.

At the risk of sounding thicker than custard.... which is the left hand manifold. I have two depending on where I stand looking at the engine ;)

Also if I was to remove said manifold would it be worth getting it machined to ensure flushness of each of the ports or would this really be puching oned luck and destined to fracture it in the process.

I'm looking at prevention of future problems here.

I've got a full set of gaskets which I believe will assit partly in the existing potential problems being avoided. Do I just fit these and keep everything crossed?

Lee D

Reply to
Thingy_wotsit

Left-hand and right-hand are always from the point of view someone sitting in the drivers seat looking forward as far as LR are concerned.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yeah, and the right one... :-(

Cars are like boats, Port (Left) is the bit on your left as you drive / sail it - Not as you're looking at it standing at the front looking in. I found this out once, to my cost, after removing the wrong head.

Use the gaskets :-)

I did think about machining them miself, but TBH, it's prolly not worth the hassle.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:46:36 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

Just don't apply the same rule of the road. Unless you're in forn parts, of course.

(nautical rule of the road is "pass other vessels to port")

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The problem with the manifolds is they they are machined too soon after casting. Apparantly cast iron should be left for 6 months or so before machining. If you were to carefully measure you will find the port faces will be slightly out of true. We looked at re-machining them but due to the shape of the manifolds it's very difficult to set up. Use manifold gaskets as suggested above and don't over tighten.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

Skimming 'em would be a 30 second job, CLAMPING them to skim them would take hours....

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

So you drive on the right Austin? Thought itwas a bit hairy in WAles!

Reply to
GbH

Yeah, my thoughts too. Best let sleeping dogs lie I reckon. Thanks folks!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Or thermally cycled up to red heat and back a few times - it relieves the casting stresses in the iron.

If you were to carefully measure you will find the port

Thinking about it, If I were to do one, I'd probably cast it onto a fixture with low melting point alloy, then skim, reheat in an oven and release the parts.....Its do-able that way, and you don't fart about trying to level everything properly. The LMP does it for you.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

On or around Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:35:51 -0000, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

no, I drive on the left, therefore oncoming vehicles (should have been an "oncoming" in the first bit, I admit) are on my right, i.e. to starboard.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 02 Nov 2005 11:10:33 +0000, Steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

Find a sod-off surface plate and set to with some grinding paste?

I once did an alloy head like that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Go and find an engine rebuilder who has a manifold grinding machine (no clamping required) - he shouldn't charge a lot to surface one unless it's very badly warped.

Reply to
EMB

Austin Shackles uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Done it on a water gallery on the VM engine... that took forever using 800 grit (massive roll I was given).

Did the lob though. I think my arms may drop off first doing it on cast.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Austin Shackles blithered:

That's what I thought, but your description implied road and water were the same, but here you suggest otherwise. Of course, Paddy was going to holiday in America and he practiced before going and decided it was blooming dangerous!

Reply to
GbH

Is this like a bloody big linisher ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Effectively, although they generally have a rotating stone set into a flat tabletop.

Reply to
EMB

Not seen one of those. Is the manifold offered up by hand then ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

It is - but it takes about 5 minutes to make a suitable bracket to bolt to the outlet studs to hold it at an appropriate angle if you're really worried about not being able to hold it true.

Reply to
EMB