110 brake pad replacement

Oh dear me (or words to that effect) - changing a puncture today it became clear I've got to change the front brake pads. On the o/s wheel the inboard pad is worn more than the outboard one, any suggestions why - both seem to be moving? Second question; how easy is it to get the pistons to retract without the piston compressor tool, and do you have to take the calliper off to get it in?

MTIA Bob Miller

1990 ex-RAF 110 3.5 V8 17KJ83 1967 3/4 ton Sankey 09ES17
Reply to
Bob Miller

It is usual for one side to wear a bit more than the other, possibly due to a pad or piston sticking in the caliper due to build up of dirt, thoroughly clean the caliper before replacing the pads and, using a narrow strip of cloth, try to wipe off any dirt on the pistons and apply a bit of rubber grease round them with your finger before pushing them back in using a small tyre lever or large screwdriver. If they are very rusty you may possibly have to replace them, and the seals, but this will necessitate removal of the caliper so pump them out most of the way before disconnecting the brake pipe then clamp the flexible and fill up the reservoir to save bleeding the full system after.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily