110 CSW - frigg'in seat belts.

Last week I replaced the front seat belts in the 110 after it failed the MOT on one that had begun to fray. I replaced the drivers side (fail) and the passenger side not a fail but didn't always return and resulted in the seat belt continually getting caught in the door latch. I also replaced the drivers seat belt receiver as the plastic cowling was long gone.

Since then the 110 Sat with the rear seat belts plugged in since the re test to same the tester having to root around finding the various bits.

Today the frigging rear drivers side one packed up FFS! Won't unreal and appears constantly locked. Master D tells me it was "Sticky" previously but is now stuck good and proper. Ah well... at least it failed safe so to speak.

Now the trauma of removing the rear cage to get the side pannel out to get to the seat belt is one to look forward too during nappy dodging :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well the good news (sort of) if what ever stuck unstuck after removal of the seat belt but now I've noticed that the reel is very slow to reel in the belts. This was also the problem on the front passenger side too. I've not noticed before but this is potenially a hazard for the occupants (kids) as when they lean forward and the belts extend then as they lean back are very slow to recoil. I don't know if this is just the springs in the unit or something else. I've eliminated any other interference. Maybe worth others checking the recoil on rear seatbelts if it's happened on ours (1990 CSW) no reason others won't be similarly affected.

New belts ordered from Beamends.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Old and needs replacing. MoT fail if it's too slow (in the opinion of the tester) for reasons which you state.

Reply to
Rich B

Thing is it's just been MOT'd though I wouldn't have noticed until it jammed which may have led to the sudden slowness in fairness. Sometimes I'm glad I'm over cautious bit miffed I didn't notice it sooner. I'll get Mrs_D to drive me back from enough pubs so that I can check all the pasenger seat belts personally in the fleet... this could be expensive ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Heh. At least you're not married to Mrs_B! Every time we go out somewhere where drinkies are involved, she reminds me that she drove *last* time.

Reply to
Rich B

she must be related to Dawn!!!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Lee Hi,

slow recoil usually is due to dust, much, debris finding their way inside the seatbelt's casing. You can either take it apart and clean the coil or better still replace the seatbelts with new ones. Considering that your Defender is now able to vote and has entered its adulthood (18 years old) it was surely worth replacing the seatbelts alltogether.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Pantelis,

Fully agree, new belts sat at Beamends awaiting my visit tomorrow :-)

No second chances for seat belts here...straight in the bin! Can't grumble at 18 years mind.

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D