110 CSW Tyre Pressure

I've searched high and low (not to mention far and wide) for a definitive answer to this one. Land Rover suggest 28 psi front and 48 psi rear. The vehicle usually has 3/4 bodies in (still kicking) but otherwise unladen. I'm running Pirelli scorpions if this matters.

Cheers all :)

Reply to
poolcue

From experience I'd probably run about 34 or 36 on all 4 corners.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:59:18 +0100, poolcue enlightened us thusly:

if they're normal size, i.e. 235/85R16 or similar, I'd reckon 36 psi. If you have fat ones such as 31x10.5R15 then you might go down to 34.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

48 psi sounds very high, 38 psi seems more like. I'd check, but that could be a transcription error.
Reply to
David G. Bell

I had the same problem and run 28/35 lite load on 235's for years with good performence and wear results but am still not convinced that this is correct !!

Reply to
Hirsty's

Twas Thu, 09 Sep 2004 22:59:18 +0100 when poolcue put finger to keyboard producing:

I recently upped the rear pressures to 48 in my 110 csw but found it too hard, I now run 35 all round.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks all - it seems I'm no nearer a definitive answer. I think I'll start with the lowest suggestion and work up until it 'feels' right!

P.

Reply to
poolcue

Surely LR's specified pressures are a defintive answer?

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

LR's "definitive" pressures pre-date radial tyres!

Reply to
EMB

Not on 110's - indeed LR derpicate using crossply's on coil sprung vehicles.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:33:15 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

and fer ages they didn't alter the sods, either, depsite everybody and sundry using radial tyres. I had some Xplies on the 110 initally and they were crap, vague steering, hard ride, just generally horrible.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Twas Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:37:08 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

I have cross plies on now.. the most fun is the crap grip on tarmac, but that may be the aggressive thread more than the ply.

it worries the tourists when I come sliding towards them on these narrow country lanes...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reminds me of my kids comments on my wifes driving. I have been in hospital for two weeks recently and wife drove 110 to and from instead of Ford Fester. Boys turned up for a visit after dropping one son of at minature railway ( along country roads ), " how did it go ? " " well mum met another car on the narrow road " " so ? " " well when we got back on the seats she reminded us to put on our seat belts !! "

Reply to
Hirsty's

Unladen 25 front 30 rear. Laden 30 and 45. The tyres are your first shock absorbers,if the are hard more shock will get through. If the tyres are softer, they will transfer less shock. I run 25 and 30. Yours Gmacz

Reply to
Gmacz

In message , David G. Bell writes

600/16 35 47 750/16 28 42 205r16 28 35 750r16 28 48

All conditions

Reply to
Graham Jones

Whilst this may be LR's official guide, IMHO it's all bollocks. Rear pressure *must* change with load, and you can't tell me that the rear of an unladen 110 weighs more than the front, but that's what these pressures say. Also radials need *more* pressure than the equivalent cross ply, so the 600x16 to 205R16 pressure change is completely backwards.

I've been a mechanic for the last couple of decades and have fitted and sold a reasonable number of tyres during that time. I've also owned a fair few Landrovers of various models and put a fair bit of effort and time into working out the optimal tyre pressures both for handling and tyre life. 47 psi in crossplies on the rear of anything but a heavily laden LWB Landrover is going to be lethal especially in the wet.

My suggestions as a starting point for 110/LWB:

600x16 30 30 750x16 28 28 205R16 36 34 750R16 34 34 235/85R16 36 36

And if laden add up to 10psi to the rear and 4psi to the front. For a

90/SWB drop the rear 2psi or so - my father's SWB on 750x16 tyres showed wear patterns suggesting overinflation when running lightly laden with 28psi front & rear.

Of course in the UK you have some spastic law about obeying the tyre placard which is (for cars) often actually a bit low because NVH and ride quality were the foremost considerations in designating the pressures.

Now for my disclaimer - the above pressure guidelines have been arrived at from my experience with both my own and customers' vehicles and I think they are pretty much right. If you want to try them do so at your own risk - I doubt that they will cause you any damage *but* don't blame me if you're not happy.

Reply to
EMB

Twas Sun, 12 Sep 2004 21:10:00 +1200 when EMB put finger to keyboard producing:

I have 750x16 on my 110 csw, I tried it with 35-45 but found it too hard and the back end ofter tried to overtake me so I'm back to 30 all round and find that fine so my brief experience agrees with you pretty much.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:12:19 +0100, "Gmacz" enlightened us thusly:

true. depends mostly on the roads, I guess. on mostly-tarmac, I tend to run 36 all round on the disco (235/70R16 Pirellis); however, I've just acquired an additional approx 12 miles per day on the route on what our american cousins would call a "gravel highway" - on which it would doubtless ride much more comfortably at about 28 all round, say, but experience teaches that this makes the handling "soft" on tarmac, and moreover would give bad tyre wear. It'd also be too soft for high-speed use, something which you have to consider for V8 discos and RRs, but this doesn't apply, for example, to NA diesel 110s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hmm, oddly enough the tyre pressures on my old '83 Rangie were 28 front, 38 rear - with radials.

The tyre pressures specified for my '86 Rangie with radial tyres were 28/38 psi

The tyre pressures for my current '95 RR (p38A) are 28/38 - on radials.

Does that tell you something?

The tyres pressures specified work well for me and give good tyre life (80,000-100,000km).

Maybe LR knew what they were talking about?

Oh, all tyres were/are Michelin - 205R16 on the older cars and 255/65R16 on the P38A.

Ron

Reply to
The Becketts

but this doesn't apply,

65mph flat out, wind assisted and on a downward slope. My 110na. Yours Gmacz
Reply to
Gmacz